Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New here from Michigan's U.P.

Hi everyone. I have lived in Sault Ste. Marie for over 4 years now. Moved here from Maine. Looking forward to getting to know you guys.

Now that I'm here, I mostly fish the St. Mary's Rapids on the Ontario side of the international bridge for steelies and salmon because it's readily available; but my favorite fishing is for brookies on dries with cane.

This year, as best as I can, I'm planning on exploring what the Canadian side has to offer west and north of here.

Thanks,

George
    Last edited by bp green; 04-18-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Default Re: New here from Michigan's U.P.

Hi george, I think I replied to your other post? Nevertheless, welcome and I'm sure someone will chime in soon with some info particular to your area.

C
    "...all snobbery is defensive..and as important as fishing seems, the most important thing about it is, it's just fishing."

-- John Gierach

Art: http://www.gravenfish.com

My TU:
    http://massanuttentu.com

Welcome to the U.P. Where did you live in Maine? I lived in Caribou a few years back.

Blog Entries

Hi, welcome...

You left Maine for the Soo???
    I went to LSSU 20 years ago. I have never fished up there but I hear the brookies are great. Walleye and Smallies and pike are fantastic in the algoma region.

Blog Entries

George...looking forward to seeing your pics and reports

Thank you all.

I lived in Jackman. A tiny, rural town just 16 miles from the border with Quebec. I loved it and have some very good friends there still, but unfortunately it was just too rural and isolated for my wife and daughter.
    "Trout don't live in ugly places"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bp green View Post
    Thank you all.

I lived in Jackman. A tiny, rural town just 16 miles from the border with Quebec. I loved it and have some very good friends there still, but unfortunately it was just too rural and isolated for my wife and daughter.
    Sault, Check out the Lock View inn and restaurant. right across the Locks visitor center On Fridays they have all you can eat fish and fries. Prepped anyway you like it. Not sure if antlers is still there but just "interesting" atmosphere. Clyde's drive in is without a doubt a great cheese burger. Try the BIG C.

Try an extended weekend with the family
    -Mackinac Island/City-just have to do it once
    -Harbor Springs-Tom's Mom's Cookies. Oh maaaaaaann.
    -Petosky-Papa Lou's Pizza
    Traverse City-cool stuff and a big city for you to see. Lake MI is amazing. And that North west corner of Lower Northern MI is where some of the best fly fishing you can be around-lots of pressure but once you find a spot stick with it.

AMAZING small mouth fishing in Grand Traverse Bay. Cast at a big rock and slow strip right next to it-the Smallies take care of the rest.

UP stuff
    The Teqxxxxxxxxx Falls
    Paradise
    Painted Rocks National shoreline

Stay out of Dafter

Check out the Lumberjack Festival. I have never been but hear its a great time. I think its in Brimley in the fall

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishmich View Post
    Sault, Check out the Lock View inn and restaurant. right across the Locks visitor center On Fridays they have all you can eat fish and fries. Prepped anyway you like it. Not sure if antlers is still there but just "interesting" atmosphere. Clyde's drive in is without a doubt a great cheese burger. Try the BIG C.

Try an extended weekend with the family
    -Mackinac Island/City-just have to do it once
    -Harbor Springs-Tom's Mom's Cookies. Oh maaaaaaann.
    -Petosky-Papa Lou's Pizza
    Traverse City-cool stuff and a big city for you to see. Lake MI is amazing. And that North west corner of Lower Northern MI is where some of the best fly fishing you can be around-lots of pressure but once you find a spot stick with it.

AMAZING small mouth fishing in Grand Traverse Bay. Cast at a big rock and slow strip right next to it-the Smallies take care of the rest.

UP stuff
    The Teqxxxxxxxxx Falls
    Paradise
    Painted Rocks National shoreline

Stay out of Dafter

Check out the Lumberjack Festival. I have never been but hear its a great time. I think its in Brimley in the fall

Lol... I think I may have given off the wrong impression guys. I have been living in the UP for over four years. I am quite familiar with the area.

It's the water on the Candian side I am looking to get to know. I have heard many rumors about the Algoma region, almost all of it contradictory. Huge brook trout, tiny brook trout. All private water, all open. Fished out, untouched and teeming with fish, etc.

I have fished the St. Mary's Rapids underneath the international Bridge on the Ontario side extensively. It is an awesome salmon and steelhead fishery, but now I want to go beyond and see if I can find the kind of fishing I had in Maine. Good sized, native brook trout in secluded, wild flowing streams and rivers.

By the way flyfishMich, Antler's is still there and open. Albeit under different management.
    "Trout don't live in ugly places"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bp green View Post
    Lol... I think I may have given off the wrong impression guys. I have been living in the UP for over four years. I am quite familiar with the area.

It's the water on the Candian side I am looking to get to know. I have heard many rumors about the Algoma region, almost all of it contradictory. Huge brook trout, tiny brook trout. All private water, all open. Fished out, untouched and teeming with fish, etc.

I have fished the St. Mary's Rapids underneath the international Bridge on the Ontario side extensively. It is an awesome salmon and steelhead fishery, but now I want to go beyond and see if I can find the kind of fishing I had in Maine. Good sized, native brook trout in secluded, wild flowing streams and rivers.

By the way flyfishMich, Antler's is still there and open. Albeit under different management.
    yeah something about a divorce at antlers or something like that.

and still stay out of Dafter

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Ranger Lake in Ontario is full of Lunker sized Lake Trout and Pike. My Gramps had a rustic cabin on it but the family let it go after he died. Bummer. I think its about 45-50 miles from the Sault. There is a fly in camp there too. That's all the info I have of that place.

Hi George.
    From The Land Down under Welcome to The Forum.
    Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast