Whos ready for some spring steelhead in michigan

phoolish

Reaction score
man im so ready to get out and try to get a few steelhead. ive reorganized my boxes so i can be ready at a moments notice. I would like to get out this weekend just got to find someone to go.

the bottom 2 are double sided and they are packed tight haha

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Ready? No. Want to this year? You-betcha wah-hey. This weekend? I think is pushing it :shades:

B.E.F.

phoolish

Reaction score
Ready? No. Want to this year? You-betcha wah-hey. This weekend? I think is pushing it :shades:

B.E.F.
from reports Ive read the PM is wadable, also a friend fished it yesterday and they ended up with 4 i believe . one was 12lb.

Your never going to catch them from the couch.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
from reports Ive read the PM is wadable, also a friend fished it yesterday and they ended up with 4 i believe . one was 12lb.
Hmmmm, wadable or not especially considering our winter that surprises me......Now I never have fished the PM, but I'd bet they were within a 1/4 mile of the mouth. IOW not spawning but looking for food after the tough winter (which is a good thing and the ideal IMO).

B.E.F.

phoolish

Reaction score
sounds like a guy from work and i are going to give it a try friday morning. Baldwin Bait & Tackle said the river its wadable and this weekend should be a good one.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
sounds like a guy from work and i are going to give it a try friday morning. Baldwin Bait & Tackle said the river its wadable and this weekend should be a good one.
A Post Trip Report is required by all those who can get out fishing before me! :shades:

B.E.F.

phoolish

Reaction score
Will do. I'm pretty new to steelhead and fly fishing but the guy im going with knows what he is doing. hopefully we can get into a couple. been going back through and rereading and watch all the info i can to freshen back up.

jjack

Reaction score
Sunday - 5 hours on the Muskegon. Saw 4 boats and about 20 other anglers.

Saw nothing alive other than 20 other anglers. Not so much as a bluegill.

I think I missed it by a week. Rain coming this weekend and temps rising, should be great.

indianayakfish

Reaction score
I'll give it a go up in the UP in early April. My wife and I bought land up there last year and I've never fished for steelhead, so it'll be a learning experience.My brother in law has plenty of experience so he'll help me out.

phoolish

Reaction score
Didn't get any steelhead and only one boat said they got some. All the other groups out were getting skunked. I landed 3 brown 19, 16, and a 10 in her and my buddy got a 17

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Didn't get any steelhead and only one boat said they got some. All the other groups out were getting skunked. I landed 3 brown 19, 16, and a 10 in her and my buddy got a 17

Well, I was sitting here wishing I was fishing....Even if you caught zero, you won! :thumbsup: Those browns sound sweet though, and I'd guess it just gives you a good primer for a week or two ahead. I suspect early April due to other things we need to do "up-north" I'll be giving it a go on the sunrise side.

B.E.F.

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
my 19, my 16, my buddies 17
Those are actually very respectable fish in many places in Michigan....Granted typical Steelhead waters can bring in some that will dwarf those, yet on many of the streams I fish those would be real shockers.

Well done! :thumbsup:

B.E.F.