Fishing around Port Huron, MI?

mbrman

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

Just wondering if there's any fishing I'm missing around Port Huron. Have tried belle River and Black River, but just have to wonder if there's anything more available close by. PM if you want, I'd appreciate any info!

Best Regards,

Dave

GrtLksMarlin

Reaction score
Sorry no one has got back with you yet past Walleye and Musky in the big lakes or St.Clair River, I think you have a ways to go for other species like Trout.

Sorry I can't be of more help, yet that's mostly a Walleye hot spot from my understanding.

B.E.F.

king joe

Reaction score
Hey mbrman
I am literally across the river from you; Canada side fishing the St. Clair River in Sarnia. The mouth of the river has long and real good runs of Chinook, coho, browns and steelhead; least-ways, on 'our' side.

The problem with 'your' side...is that for a very long ways from the inlet mouth downstream, your side of the river is steelwall lined....making fishing by fly a bit of a challenge. Upstream of the steel...you do have beaches and while I am unsure about your access, I do know the you sadly may have too much current there.

That said, if you could get access there...I see no reason why you could not anchor into any of the Pacifics or browns. I fish the beach (sometimes) upstream of the river on my side also...and have done ok at times.

I think you will be challenged because of steelwalls...and current though....leastways in the Port Huron area.

King Joe Outa Here!

ddb

Reaction score
There are rock jetties jutting into the big lake where salmon and steelhead - and sometimes even lake trout -- can be had. The fish are damned hard to land due to the cement slabs used for fill in many of them. The jetties' elevation will put a premium on your no-backcast space/shooting head skills. And the long rod will invite ridicule from the spin folk too.. But some prizes are there......

In any event, the fall will not see any competition from your time in watching the Tigers post season play.

Good luck,
DDB

dennyk

Reaction score
mbrman, Your local DNR office could be of some help. Maybe ask to speak with a fisheries biologist. That was something I did in contacting our Plainwell DNR office. Turned out to be helpful. In your area there has to be good populations of Carp, Freshwater Drum and Smallmouths.

Good Luck!

Denny