Lake Erie Walleye from shore

PKelly

Reaction score
I have this crazy notion to stand on a breakwall and fish for walleye on the fly. Realizing the lunacy of this thought, and deciding to proceed anyway, I thought I'd kick around for some advice. So far the plan is to build a 10' leader down to around 3X, then duncan loop a clouser minnow, leech, etc and fish off of a long rock groin jutting out into Lake Erie. Furthermore, I thought I would go 5wt for this endeavor. Any suggestions on flies, leaders, etc would be appreciated. George McFly, you're welcome to join me!

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
haha I used to fish the breakwall by lorain lighthouse but never with a fly.. my idea was to go on my boat and try it figured ya have better luck. don't know tho with all the gas prices all high now.. prolly cost a alot to fill up and my boat eats gas like a fat gurl eats cake.. haha it could work tho when do they come in close? now??

PKelly

Reaction score
My understanding is that in early spring the walleye are near shore in rocky areas. I am not sure what the bottom structure I would be fishing looks like, but these groins are long rock structures that go a few hundred feet out into the lake. I am thinking that if I were a fish, there would be lots of places to congregate and feed among those rocks. There are a lot of upsides to the fly rod idea, chief among them the lack of casting obstacles. I'll give it a try after stocking up on some walleye-worthy flies.

MTskibum

Reaction score
Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texa
I'll give it a try after stocking up on some walleye-worthy flies.
I just started tying walleye flies, sadley, i am yet to catch a walleye on a fly(I only tried once so far), so i dont have too many ideas, but i am tying mostly chartruese and orange streamers. Using spinning lures, and the bright colored swim baits as my inspiration.

If you have any luck, you should post your fly patterns here though, i am interested in what you are going to use, as i will be trying for more walleyes on fly later this year.

fishenrg

Reaction score
I'm certainly no walleye expert, but I do pursue them around here. From what I know right now, and then later in the fall, are probably among the best times to get them with a fly. This time of year they definitely come close to shore, and more importantly...shallow. I think thats the main problem with getting them on the fly, getting down to them. How I target them right now is to toss out a leech from shore with a 3/4oz. weight and about a 4' leader and let it sit, they will find it. I'm not sure how that translates to catching them with a fly, but I would say something weighted to get down.

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Walleye are in the shallows in Erie right now for spawning. If you can find a shallow rock bar within wading distance of shore it would be ideal for the fly rod. I think a Clouser tied up in Chart/white, blue/white, green/white, would work nicely for them.

If you have the opportunity to fish them in a small river, wooly buggers will work fine for them. When the water is fairly clear; stick with the natural colors, black, olive, and brown. Flourescent colors for stained.

Dan

PKelly

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I went out last night to a secondary casting spot and got hung up on some rocks. The water clarity is still not quite there, but I have a few different minnow patterns for that. I tied up a few new leaders to cope with the rocks, so I'll report back with any news.

Here's a photo of the armament...

Attachments

tie one on

Reaction score
I too am going to try to fish Walleye on the fly this year
here in Michigan. I might suggest a little heavier rod, unless
you have used a 5wt before. I used to use my 9' 5wt Scott
to fish for Smallmouth, but hooking into some big ones really
puts a bend in the rod & made me go up to a 7wt.

Best of luck,

Tie One On

fishenrg

Reaction score
I would probably recommend a 7 weight as well, at least depending on conditions. I caught my first walleye on a fly this past Sunday up here. I always have good luck on this lake with crayfish crankbaits so I was using a weighted crayfish pattern. I've never found walleyes to fight all that much, its more like dragging in a clump of weeds, so that's not the reason for a bigger rod. Its all they other stuff you might catch while targeting walleyes. On this lake there are plenty of pike, bass, and even a few muskie from what I've heard. There's also vegetation to consider. I think a 5 weight would definitely work, but a 7 might be a bit better.

burk48237

Reaction score
A couple of things to remember when selecting a rod. It's not as much the fish your chasing as the presentation. When your chasing Walleyes from shore your going to need a lot of casting distance (to cover water) the ability to present large flies ( to achieve the maximum amount of impact in your presentation) and the ability to cast in the wind (calm days are few and far between in the Great Lakes. You can land any Walleye that swims in the GL's with a five weight, but you can't do those things with a five weight. I would recommend at least a SW action seven weight (thats what I use for smallmouth in Traverse and Saginaw Bays). I use to catch a lot of Walleye in the fall fishing off the pier-heads at night with floating fly lines and big white Dahlberg Divers. I've never tried it in the spring. I would have to think the river mouths would hold some fish too. You might give Bruce at Grand River Tackle in Fairport Harbor a call. He chases a lot of exotic stuff with a fly rod. 440-352 7222, He's usually not around until about 5 p.m..

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Hi guys,
I found this site looking for walleye flies myself. I have been catching a few real nice walleye on the Rainy River (far North Minnesota )all with clouser minnows. The best color pattern I have is top to bottom, blue, pink, white, with a hot pink dumb bell. I have tied a fire tiger pattern that works also. I got a 29 1/4" walleye on the trout pattern clouser. I'll attach a photo of it as soon as I figure out how to do it. I uploaded it to the site but I can't seem to get past that point.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I got the picture in the gallery under 29 1/4" walleye. I think the reason the Walleye have been so close to shore and in such shallow water here is the river is so high and the current is so bad. I think they are up where the current is slower taking a break. I have tried a few different flies and the clouser is still best.