Small Stream Favorites

FlyGuy7

Reaction score
I live in central michigan and fish many small streams in the area. When the trout are feeding on the surface, i can often catch them, but when they arent,( which is most of the time) they are harder to catch. I have tried many nymph imitations with little success. Does anyone have a favorite sub-surface fly that they would recommend for small streams? Thank You!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi FlyGuy7,

I would bet it is not the flies you are using but your technique. It is true you need to be using flies that you know work. Your local fly shop is the very best source of information. Find the closest fly shop to the water you are interested in and pay it a visit.

If I knew what water you are fishing or the area you are fishing, I might be able to help you out.

Frank

FlyGuy7

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I beleive that the way i have been fishing the nymphs has been wrong. I have been just simply dead drifting the nymph. Should i be fishing it across current or with some kind of movement? And yes i will tie up some soft hackle flies. Thanks!

BigCliff

Reaction score
Flyguy,

You might try some soft hackles, assorted colors, yellow, olive, black...also pheasant tail nymphs assorted sizes...

Dan
Yeppers, soft hackles is what I would resort to if they're not taking the dries on top. That or most any sort of emerger fished like you would a dry.

Partridge and peacock would be the first option.

madriverbrown

Reaction score
I fish a small stream with a pattern as simple as Brown Hen Hackle and Peacock Herl all on a #16 with 2 wraps of lead. Down and across and your in. Especially in the Spring when the Trout are looking up.