Hickory Creek report

smallieman

Reaction score
This morning I needed to get away and get some things off my mind. So I went down to the creek at my access. This morning was so peacefull. The amount of fish I seen was amazing. The size of the fish and the size of the creek are amazing. I seen schools of smallmouths the size of them were 16-19inches there were easy 20 fish or so in the school. I seen 2 sets of the schools at different areas in the creek. I was using my new 3wt fly rod with a 7x leader. I had 3 18inch smallmouths on but lost all 3. I am sure it was becuase I was using 2lb test. But I did jump it up to 1x leader but could not find the school. Most of the smallies were hitting streamers and beadheads. Here is a collection of fish and shots from the day so enjoy.

Eating Crays

Brewmaster

Reaction score
Smallieman,

Is that a propane or acetylene tank stuck in the river? You should let someone know where it is so it can be removed before the next flood carries it further downstream!

creekfisher

Reaction score
Smallieman,

You have great pictures also enjoyable seeing them here.

I to love to fish Hickory Creek too and have fished it now for several years. I have caught Rock Bass, dinky Smallmouth Bass, Creek chub, and now an unknown hybrid Chub of some kind, but I do not know what it is. I caught it on a Madame-X using a 5wt fly rod. I resembles a Pink and Black striped tiger fish with green, white, blue and orange/pink colors.:D

Last edited:

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Great report! Looked like a beautiful day, FULL of wildlife and a total mess of species in many size! I really do like the small carp, but the colors on that small LMB are also very clear. I know everyone likes big fish, but small fish are just so great-looking! The SCUBA cylinder in the one photo is a classic random piece of river-trash...