Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Salmon fishing the tributaries

1. Default Salmon fishing the tributaries

I have not been salmon fishing and would love to give it a try this fall. I was hoping that some fellow anglers could give some advice; such as set up and what the salmon tend to hit on. Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance

Nick

Blog Entries

Default Re: Salmon fishing the tributaries

Hi Nick,

Better tell em what state you are in and where you are thinking of fishing. There are a bunch of GL salmon types here and I'll let them give you the current info. It has been years since I was a problem to those fish.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Nick, Like Ard said, a little more info from you would be helpful...

Dan

4. Default Re: Salmon fishing the tributaries

I will be fishing in northeast Wisconsin.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Nick

Nick,
    Kings are currently coming into a few Superior tribs, as are some of the lake run browns. Steel will follow shortly as well as coho. Are you spey fishing or single hand casting? Think eggs and bright patterns for kings just looking to get an aggression strike. You can try multiple presentations to the same fish just trying to pi$$ it of to make him strike out of anger.
    I use a 12'9 two hander for an 8/9 or a 9'8wt single. You won't likely need a full sink but a sink tip may be useful if you are casting streamers.

Quote Originally Posted by driftless View Post
    Nick,
    Kings are currently coming into a few Superior tribs, as are some of the lake run browns. Steel will follow shortly as well as coho. Are you spey fishing or single hand casting? Think eggs and bright patterns for kings just looking to get an aggression strike. You can try multiple presentations to the same fish just trying to pi$$ it of to make him strike out of anger.
    I use a 12'9 two hander for an 8/9 or a 9'8wt single. You won't likely need a full sink but a sink tip may be useful if you are casting streamers.
    I've heard the strike out of anger line so many times for Salmon. I'm fishing salmon for the first time on a fly rod this year and have fished Steel for years. But Salmon is new for me. Do you have to get the anger strike or will they hit an egg pattern? I'm trying to figure these fish out too.

Cheers,
    Mike.