Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Annual PA Steelhead

Thanks for the report.

When it comes to bashing Michigan I'm as big a basher as there is; I moved away 34 years ago and never looked back.

But, in Michigan's defense, last year, 2016, was a particularly bad year for steelhead, this year is particularly good.

2. Likes ejsell liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by myt1 View Post
    Thanks for the report.

When it comes to bashing Michigan I'm as big a basher as there is; I moved away 34 years ago and never looked back.

But, in Michigan's defense, last year, 2016, was a particularly bad year for steelhead, this year is particularly good.
    Didn't mean to come across as bashing. Ohio uses the Manistee strain from Michigan also so it's usually tough fall fishing. This fall both Ohio and Michigan have had some good early runs, I think a combination of early cold snaps, high lake levels and higher river levels have really helped. Numbers wise though neither can compete with PA until the spring.

I haven't been up to MI early enough to seriously target salmon and I don't think you can beat their run anywhere nearby. Michigan also has a much more liberal access policy than Ohio or PA. Both Ohio and PA have river bottom ownership issues and will ticket you for trespassing when wading on non-public land. I think MI allows you to wade non-public land as long as you stay within the river banks. I have also noticed a much higher percentage of guys fishing with fly rods in PA and Ohio than in MI. Seemed to be more of a disdain for fly guys on the rivers we fished in MI and on their forums for some reason.

Michigan is a beautiful state and I spend a lot of time with my kids there doing other than fishing things. Hoping to spend some time in the national parks this summer or next and maybe get up for a few days of salmon fishing eventually. The Platte River through the National park is one of the prettiest rivers I've seen.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes, it is also my understanding in Michigan you can wade on the river bottom, but not on shore. Even that isn't great, though. Access to the rivers is very limited. Even when I'm in a boat I always feel like I'm fishing in someone's backyard. It just isn't a wilderness experience.

I'm really glad PA is having a good year.

I've been conversing with steelhead fishers in the Pacific Northwest and not only are they having a bad year, they are seriously concerned steelhead my go extinct, or nearly so, in their neck of the woods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12