Annual PA Steelhead

ejsell

Reaction score
Our 4th year going to PA for our annual steelhead trip. 2nd year taking my father-in-law and got him his first steelhead.

Prior to PA the annual fall trip was to Michigan. I did that 2 years and we only got into a few fish over the week each year. The 1st year, for me, I landed a nice 10 pound male. Prior to that my largest fish on the fly was probably a 12 inch bass. I was really hooked after that steelhead. The 2nd year in MI I didn't have a single steelhead bite but did manage to hook into a couple late king salmon. Our group leader had been steelheading there since the 70s and only landed 2 in the week. Our 3rd regular had been going for about 6 years but that was the only fishing he did all year. He had landed a walleye, a resident brown trout and a king but had never gotten a steelhead.

This year was great for him in PA. He had a lot of fish on and landed 3 nice steelhead in about 3 days of fishing before he left early. Conditions were tough this year with a massive storm coming through on our second day and we spent about a half hour in the cabin basement due to a tornado. Rivers were blown out a good chunk of the time we were there so we spent a lot of time on the small creeks. We all had a ton of fish on though and met a lot of great people including a few from Michigan, Cleveland and some very interesting Russians who gave us their spot and told us right where the fish where hitting.

Overall the steelhead seemed larger on average than the previous years we'd been going. We got into a lot of fish in the 27"-30" range and I saw a massive 35" fish caught that could have swallowed most of my fish. In previous years most of our fish were in the 21"-25" range. The fish fought hard this year with lots of acrobatics and I had a pretty tough time landing the majority of my fish in tight conditions. I popped the hook more times than I care to admit, had a fish jump over a low hanging limb to break me off, another one jump straight into a steep bank, had 2 different fish turn back on me and ram my legs, lost several in downed trees and lost my furled leader when the connector to my fly line broke on a large fish. My leader and indicator were eventually retrieved when it swam by one of my buddies about an hour later. Each fish hooked into was exhausting and I didnt get any usable pics in the water but did take some scenery pics and video of a nursery water. My phone also died several times so now I'm considering going back to a small water proof camera. We did have a great time, can't wait to get back and it was great that 2 of our group got their first steelhead.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ejsell

Reaction score
The first couple of pics were our first day and the water was dropping from some rain early in the week. The nursery water video and pics were on the rise from a small storm early on our second day. There was a pretty good thunderstorm going on over the lake at that point so we had given up for the day and went exploring. The bridge pic is the morning after the blow out, the water dropped almost a foot there by the next day but was still pretty dirty for a few days. I lost a lot of fish on that tiny stream but landed a nice 7 pound male. The last few are 3-4 days later, a popular spot on Elk our last day. It's amazing how quickly that river clears out and drops. The first 2 years we went they were under drought conditions with extremely low water. This year and last year they had a lot of rain so we've been fortunate enough to hit the creeks on the drop. The morning after the big storm I hooked into a really nice fish near the mouth of a small creek and lost him in some downed trees when he headed back to the lake. The next day I probably had 20 fish on and only managed to land 2 of them. My fishing mentor says I need to set my hook better and chase them over the limbs:)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to go out that way every year in March, the trick that time of year (if it is freezing at night & warming during the day) is to get yourself up stream before daylight. The water is clear at day break and remains so until the sun starts melting things again. By 11:30 AM things can get very muddy. The creek with the high cut banks, I fished that a lot, those cut banks catch the sun and any ice or snow melts hard and fast. The area doesn't get snow and cold the way it did 25 years ago I don't believe, yes it gets cold and it does snow but back when I began fishing out there it was just the regular weather. March was good because the tip of any spring run was coming in, most of what you found were bright fish. Those who had been all winter looked almost black by spring.

If you've spotted any posts from me about fishing then you know that winter came early here. One year ago today I had already caught 2 steelhead and 7 silver salmon by this time............. I also got a bit of frostbite, the temps on that river have been real close to zero every morning for the past three weeks and I have stayed home. I don't think I've gotten soft, but I know I've gotten smarter. The river remains open due to being fed from a lake outflow, it can freeze the closer you get to the lake itself and I've seen some serious shelf ice conditions there. My Mokai makes it possible to fish if the weather takes a freak turn, they call them Pineapple Clippers, warm air coming up from the South Pacific. We can easily see a 49* day in January but I can't predict them. The Mokai works because I can drag it to the edge of the ice and slip it in by hand alone. Since it has the 7.3 Subaru motor I can then go to where there are no others but I just won't do it in negative weather again. This morning I had -2 here, the weaher page says it was +5 down there but that isn't taken at the river. Problem here is that once we get into these low temps things don't warm during the day. Last Thanksgiving it was -8 when I launched my little boat and -1 when I pulled it out at dark. Not much of a break so I'm at home buddy :)

repperson29

Reaction score
Glad you had a successful trip. I’ll concur with you, this has been the best run we’ve had in years in regards to number and size of fish. I can’t wait until Monday when most will be off the water and in tree stands and wandering around the woods for Bambi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ejsell

Reaction score
Glad you had a successful trip. I’ll concur with you, this has been the best run we’ve had in years in regards to number and size of fish. I can’t wait until Monday when most will be off the water and in tree stands and wandering around the woods for Bambi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A couple of people have said that about PA water during hunting season. During the blow out we were jockeying for positions on one of the small creeks but the rest of the week we were able to find space with a little walking. Overall wasn't bad though and I did meet some interesting people that way. 2 of which were Russian or Serbian and they were cracking us up with non-stop banter. After catching about 8 fish they gave us their spot.

I thought about heading over after Dec 1st. to get an annual license and get a day on the water. I think when I retire I'm going to move somewhere between Cleveland and Erie. That should give me a solid 8 months of steelhead fishing

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jeff,

Why not go all out and look for a place near Avis, Waterville or Slate Run PA. Avis puts you near I 180 and a short drive to the fantastic fishing in Southern Clinton and Center Counties as well as close to Penns Creek. The other two village's are right on good trout waters. I lived in Cogan Station for many years and then after living out of state for a few years took up residence in Williamsport. From there I fished all over the place with a whole lot close to home.

ejsell

Reaction score
Ard, thanks for the suggestions! Those sound ideal but I have just shy of 13 years before I can retire. My parents and in-laws live just about an hour and a half south of Cleveland and will all be in their late 70's and early 80's then, so that's about at the limit we are looking at. Plus my wife has some ancestral and cultural connections to Cleveland and has always wanted to live in the area. Hopefully one of my kids will do something in life that makes them happy and rich so they can buy me a nice vacation cabin in PA of course a lot can change in 13 years so who knows.

smp005

Reaction score
Ejsell,

Great report!

Dec 21st and 22nd is the season "kick-off" for my son and I :) Too soon to know where we will be fishing this year but definitely looking forward to it!!!

We might even wander into PA if the reports are better there than the Ohio rivers. Must admit the water temps will be a little cooler than the Pacific ocean was LOL!!

Scott

myt1

Reaction score
Thanks for the report.

When it comes to bashing Michigan I'm as big a basher as there is; I moved away 34 years ago and never looked back.

But, in Michigan's defense, last year, 2016, was a particularly bad year for steelhead, this year is particularly good.

ejsell

Reaction score
Thanks for the report.

When it comes to bashing Michigan I'm as big a basher as there is; I moved away 34 years ago and never looked back.

But, in Michigan's defense, last year, 2016, was a particularly bad year for steelhead, this year is particularly good.
Didn't mean to come across as bashing. Ohio uses the Manistee strain from Michigan also so it's usually tough fall fishing. This fall both Ohio and Michigan have had some good early runs, I think a combination of early cold snaps, high lake levels and higher river levels have really helped. Numbers wise though neither can compete with PA until the spring.

I haven't been up to MI early enough to seriously target salmon and I don't think you can beat their run anywhere nearby. Michigan also has a much more liberal access policy than Ohio or PA. Both Ohio and PA have river bottom ownership issues and will ticket you for trespassing when wading on non-public land. I think MI allows you to wade non-public land as long as you stay within the river banks. I have also noticed a much higher percentage of guys fishing with fly rods in PA and Ohio than in MI. Seemed to be more of a disdain for fly guys on the rivers we fished in MI and on their forums for some reason.

Michigan is a beautiful state and I spend a lot of time with my kids there doing other than fishing things. Hoping to spend some time in the national parks this summer or next and maybe get up for a few days of salmon fishing eventually. The Platte River through the National park is one of the prettiest rivers I've seen.

myt1

Reaction score
Yes, it is also my understanding in Michigan you can wade on the river bottom, but not on shore. Even that isn't great, though. Access to the rivers is very limited. Even when I'm in a boat I always feel like I'm fishing in someone's backyard. It just isn't a wilderness experience.

I'm really glad PA is having a good year.

I've been conversing with steelhead fishers in the Pacific Northwest and not only are they having a bad year, they are seriously concerned steelhead my go extinct, or nearly so, in their neck of the woods.