Chicago Trout fisher seeking new waters & species

psishapiro

Reaction score
Hello all! About 10 years ago I was introduced to fly fishing through a group that does an annual trip to the Au Sable. So I got my start fishing for trout, and that is still my preference. I’d like to begin to fish for other species so I don’t have to travel 4-6 hours every time I want to fish. I really prefer rivers, but am open to new experiences. The obvious is to try smallmouth on some of the local rivers. Where would you start and are there any keys to getting started with smallies? I’m open to carp fishing too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jr spey

Reaction score
While I admire the desire to branch out to other species, your comment begs the question of why you need to go 4-6 hours to trout fish? There are lots of superb trout waters within about half that distance. I know a number of Chicago area fisherman who like the Kankakee (sp?) river for smallies. I've never been on it and wouldn't post much information on it on an open forum anyway, but an internet search should turn up lots of useful stuff. Perhaps someone with experience on this or other local water will PM you.

psishapiro

Reaction score
While I admire the desire to branch out to other species, your comment begs the question of why you need to go 4-6 hours to trout fish? There are lots of superb trout waters within about half that distance. I know a number of Chicago area fisherman who like the Kankakee (sp?) river for smallies. I've never been on it and wouldn't post much information on it on an open forum anyway, but an internet search should turn up lots of useful stuff. Perhaps someone with experience on this or other local water will PM you.
Using Chicago as a “general” location. I’m in the south suburbs and it takes me 2 hours just to get to the WI border. I am 5 hours from Viroqua, 4 hours from the Pere Marquette, and 5.5 hrs from the Manistee or Au Sable. Less than an hour from the Kankakee, DuPage, Fox, and Des Plaines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Still in the three hour range but some of the Mississippi River Tribs offer some decent quality smallie fishing. Near the IA/IL border of course. Friends of mine chase smallie but usually from canoes. No doubt carp as well but I haven't dabbled in that sport since I was a kid with a spinning rod. You should have carp fishing nearby. There are also some lakes near me with some awesome lake crappie fishing as well but timing is everything. Honestly my best fishing of 2017. My buddy and I are still smiling about those trips. I am not going to drop water names on a forum but I am a PM away if you want to fish in 2018. I do have a boat that fly fishes two comfortably. Going to trout fish a bit this winter but I have low expectations without a long drive. Not sure if I will make it to the more famous Driftless water until sprig.

weiliwen

Reaction score
All those rivers have fish on them. My home is on the shore of the Des Plaines River, in the northern suburb of Lincolnshire. I catch bluegill from my back yard, and those plus LMB and crappie (the last only in springtime) in the little pond up the street. There are also pike in the river, and, I am told, smallies, but I've never caught one nor seen one caught. There are a few put and take ponds in Lake County that are stocked with trout in the spring, but your fly better look like a food pellet.

I fish my river and local pond several times each week, but I am a trout fisher at heart, so often make the trek to Vernon County, Wisconsin (Viroqua's "only" a 4-hour drive for me) to the myriad streams there. The Driftless Area holds a special allure for me. I will be there on opening day, weather notwithstanding, and have already booked my lodging. I don't expect red-hot fishing, but I found a couple deep holes this past season that I'll dredge in hope of a lunker or two.

OTOH, I have promised myself that I'll drive up to the Au Sable this spring and try it out. It's about 5 1/2 hours from my place, depending on Chicago traffic. I've never fished that area, so may invest in a guide for the first day, if only for the experience of a ride in an Au Sable River Boat.