Annual Father-Son Steelhead Trip

smp005

Reaction score
Another great trip this year for my son and I! We spent two days on Elk Creek this year and flat wore ourselves out...

We opted to pay rod fees and fish private access water this year - things were looking pretty crowded on many of the creeks and my son only had two vacation days left for the year. The section we fished had not been touched for two weeks and the recent water was bringing in plenty of fresh fish. We had some pools with 20-30 fish stacked up in them. On Thursday morning the fish were definitely sluggish and barely taking the fly. As it warmed up and Friday there was a marked difference in aggressiveness!

We each landed 8-10 fish each in two days and hooked many more but didn't seal the deal. We were probably 50/50 on streamers v.s drifting a nymph or egg pattern. We would work a pool with streamers first and then drift a nymph through if the streamers didn't draw any interest.

For some reason I kept setting the hook upstream - cost me a bunch of hookups - couldn't get my brain in gear LOL!!

The bets trips are always spent with my kids! Both son and daughter love to fish :)

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
Looks like you guys had a great time.... always fun to see other Great Lake areas besides where I go. Thanks for sharing.

ft09