Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
  1. Default Help getting started in Southwest Michigan

Hello,
    I will be moving to Fennville, MI and was hoping to get some help on getting some info on streams to hit within a few hour drive. Also, I was thinking of getting a book written by Jim Bedford -- anyone read that?
    Thx for any help.

Default Re: Help getting started in Southwest Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by stuck_in_indy View Post
    Hello,
    I will be moving to Fennville, MI and was hoping to get some help on getting some info on streams to hit within a few hour drive. Also, I was thinking of getting a book written by Jim Bedford -- anyone read that?
    Thx for any help.
    You're going to love that area. Superb trout, steelhead, salmon, smallie fishing is within an hour or two of you. There's also a developing musky fishery in the area. Jim's book is a good guide. There are three or four others, also, though some are getting "long in the tooth." Some familiar river names are the Muskegon, Manistee, Pere Marquette, Little Manistee and many tribs of those waters. There are also many lesser known top-notch waters there that I won't hotspot in a forum, but you'll find them.

3. Likes dennyk liked this post

Welcome to Michigan, you will be well under a few hour drive to get into about anything you would like to fish for. To add to jr spey's post consider the Rogue, Flat, Rabbit and Grand rivers.

Your'e going to have some fun exploring. Also look into Schrem's West Michigan Trout Unlimited. Very good info on there. About Us – Schrems West Michigan Trout Unlimited

While I have seen Mr Bedford's book I have yet to buy & read it, however it's on my list.

Denny

5. Default Re: Help getting started in Southwest Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    Welcome to Michigan, you will be well under a few hour drive to get into about anything you would like to fish for. To add to jr spey's post consider the Rogue, Flat, Rabbit and Grand rivers.

Your'e going to have some fun exploring. Also look into Schrem's West Michigan Trout Unlimited. Very good info on there. About Us – Schrems West Michigan Trout Unlimited

While I have seen Mr Bedford's book I have yet to buy & read it, however it's on my list.

Denny
    Thanks Denny and Jr Spey for the help! Ok, I just bought Bedford's book and I'm already a TU member but I just reached out to that local chapter you mentioned. I will have fun 'blue-lining' -- have to purchase the kayak soon! Any local fly shops you guys recommend? It doesn't look like Saugatuck has a shop.

6. Likes dennyk liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by stuck_in_indy View Post
    Thanks Denny and Jr Spey for the help! Ok, I just bought Bedford's book and I'm already a TU member but I just reached out to that local chapter you mentioned. I will have fun 'blue-lining' -- have to purchase the kayak soon! Any local fly shops you guys recommend? It doesn't look like Saugatuck has a shop.
    I know it will not be right around the corner for you, but a fly shop I would highly recommend is Nomad Anglers, 1800 East Belt Line, Grand Rapids. The phone is 616-805-4393, the shop's manager's name is Erich. He will have the latest fishing info for you. I always get good advise from him. I'm usually in there at least once a week and I'm 20 miles away. Maybe we'll cross paths sometime!

Re: your kayak purchase check out Grand Valley Sporting Goods, 6387 Lake Michigan Drive, Allendale. They have a try it before you but it program. Vern & Gary are great people to deal with. www.gvsportinggoods.com-Phone: 616.895.6592. They feature Jackson Kayaks.

Denny
    Last edited by dennyk; 04-14-2018 at 01:25 PM.

8. Default Re: Help getting started in Southwest Michigan

I know it will not be right around the corner for you, but a fly shop I would highly recommend is Nomad Anglers, 1800 East Belt Line, Grand Rapids. The phone is 616-805-4393, the shop's manager's name is Erich. He will have the latest fishing info for you. I always get good advise from him. I'm usually in there at least once a week and I'm 20 miles away. Maybe we'll cross paths sometime!

Re: your kayak purchase check out Grand Valley Sporting Goods, 6387 Lake Michigan Drive, Allendale. They have a try it before you but it program. Vern & Gary are great people to deal with. www.gvsportinggoods.com-Phone: 616.895.6592. They feature Jackson Kayaks.

Denny
    Awesome! I will do that. I've been looking at the Jackson Kilroy LT so that would be perfect.

9. Likes dennyk liked this post

I would also add the book "Twelve Classic Michigan Trout Streams" by Jim DuFresne which is the updated version of this book. Lots of good information and maps on these streams. A very good starting place and great day dream material as well. The Challenge Chapter of TU also produces some excellent Michigan River Guide books that have a good amount of information on specific rivers. Regarding fly shops, I would also recommend Great Lakes Fly Fishing Company in Rockford. Very knowledgeable folks with a good pulse on locate streams.

11. Likes dennyk, rusty 54 liked this post

Denny
    I will second your assessment of Erich! A huge help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes dennyk liked this post

15. Thanks dennyk thanked for this post

Thanks rockiver, I've been wanting to fish the Lake Michigan coast between South Haven and Muskegon for some time now, that book could be a good starting point!

stuck-in-indy-how are things going?

Denny

17. Likes rockriver liked this post