Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530, dennyk liked this post

Default Re: Booze and rivers

We have been making a trip,in late August, to the Ausable below Mio for years. The last few years, the crowd has grown considerably. In 2017, we wanted to launch for a late afternoon/evening float. Due to the crowds, we were unable to launch at Mio or Commins Flats accesses. We have seen some amazing things over the years. Usually, quite entertaining, but I felt bad for the families I saw trying to navigate that mess. Maybe this will lessen the pressure on the river. I would like to see an exemption for fishing boats. I'm much smarter and cast much better after a couple Labatts! ( I'm kidding, I will comply).

4. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

I don't drink, so I'd be, selfishly, really happy if I fished this stretch of the Au Sable a lot. Less traffic on the river (especially the traffic that goes heavy on the booze) is only a good thing for the fishing. Unfortunately, I like to fish other parts of the Au Sable--and they're likely to end up with more traffic and more bad behavior as the tubers, canoers, and fishermen who like to drink disperse across the rest of the river where alcohol is still allowed. This seems to be coming from the feds (who I believe control these stretches of river) and not the state, so it's going to be really interesting to see how strictly enforced these new rules are.
    My fish pics on Instagram - @willyfranzen

6. Likes mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

I agree with your fears. I worry about traffic closer to Grayling. "Be careful of what you wish for!"

8. Likes willyf, mcnerney, hairwing530 liked this post

I am a big fan of Bourbon and certain blended Irish whiskeys. That said, I have a 17' Lund that I have had all over Iowa, Northern Minnesota every year, and parts of Northern Missouri. I never, repeat never, drink and get in my boat. I don't even drink from the dock. There are lakes in Minnesota that you can be in 3' of water 1 second and 20' away, you're in 80', 100' or more. Trust me, I am not a sheep or a "rules" guy. I just feel there are times and places for everything. I happen to think the best time to drink 12yr old Red Breast is after the day is over, celebrating the day or reliving the one that got away...jmho
    " I have learned that to be with those I like is enough" Whitman

good idea. Might save someone's life. Plus, I've seen what a disaster it is during the salmon run down there. Willyf, great comment.
    James Pryal
    Into The Wild Fly Fishing

11. Likes bumble54, hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by pryal74 View Post
    good idea. Might save someone's life. Plus, I've seen what a disaster it is during the salmon run down there. Willyf, great comment.
    I'm afraid such hopes may come to nothing. People who drink responsibly are not a cause for concern, people who don't drink responsibly or have the addiction won't care about bans, nor do they care much for the litter or the consequences they leave in their wake.
    I do hope it works or at least causes some to stop and think, but when I was a heavy drinker it would not have made any difference.
    It sometimes takes a shock to wake people up to the consequences of their behavior, as it did with me.
    I do agree with the sentiment you express however.

13. Likes pryal74, hairwing530, Mcbeck liked this post

I think this is a very good idea both for the rivers, the fish, and the people using them. Missouri ozark streams had a bad party rep several years ago, and although not living in MO at the time, I have heard that strick enforcement has cleaned up this problem for the most part. At one point is was hard to fish or use one of these rivers during mid day without running into various drunken groups. So, I applaud Michigan’s effort and hope there is not a spillover onto other streams, such as the Pere Marquette. SR

15. Likes pryal74, hairwing530 liked this post

Being U.K. based I don’t float rivers, but as an outsider it seems as is often the case the minority ruin for the majority.
    I don’t ‘drink’ when I am fishing, but if I was floating for the day I’d probably have a single can of beer when stopped for lunch.

Be interesting to hear whether you think they will enforce a full 100% no alcohol, would a single beer be likely to get you thrown off the river?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast