Can one successfully bank fish the great lakes?

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Is there any hope of success for a guy who just went out on the beach and started casting?

I do a family reunion on Lake Huron and often wonder about this. I never see anyone fishing and my mental image of fishing on the Great Lakes is either big boats or piers.

rockriver

Reaction score

flav

Reaction score
I know things have changed on the great lakes since I lived there, but I caught a lot of fish wading the beaches of L Michigan and Superior in the past. Like rockriver said, find a stream mouth, especially in sterile lakes like Superior and Huron and you'll find fish (if the water temps are right). That's also a good place in the spring and fall as salmon and steelhead stage to move ustream. During the summer I always did best when the wind blew from off the shore for several days, blowing the warm surface water out, and cool water from down deep replaces it. It's called a thermal upwelling. That's when salmon and trout could be reached off the beaches, usually at first light. I know the forage base in the lakes has changed as have stocking programs since I fished there, but I'm sure temperature still is quite important.

silver creek

Reaction score
Before the terrorism concern at nuclear power plants, I used to go to the Kewaunee Nuclear Power Plant. I could park in the employee parking lot and walk to the power plan outlet.

You can see the security fence around the plant but there was free access to the outlow.

You can see the blue water flowing into Lake Michigan. There are fishing piers on each side. During the winter, the water flowing out of the pant is much warmer than the cold lake water and it attracts baitfish and salmon and trout follow the baitfish right into the outflow channel. I've caught browns, rainbows, and even lake trout in the outflow flume.

There would be boats trolling in the lake at the power plant.

The power plant has been decommissioned.

Explore Wisconsin, Kewaunee County, Wisconsin: attractions, historic sites, parks, nature centers, festivals, museums

Kewaunee Nuclear Plant
State Hwy. 42, Kewaunee
920-388-0688\
The Kewaunee Nuclear Plant tower is a landmark for visitors entering and leaving the county. At 535 megawatts, the plant's generator is Wisconsin's largest. Since its 1974 start-up, the plant's operating and safety record has been rated outstanding by industry analysts. Fishing around the plant is so good that anglers are always there, no matter what the weather may be.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Seeing Silvers post reminded me that sewage plant outflows work much the same way. The treated water is warmer than the surrounding water and has lots of nutrients init that attracts baitfish and the fish that feed on them. Not always the best smells in those areas though. :D

huronfly

Reaction score
I like to fish the beachs of lake Huron(Canadian side) when the rivers get blown out, there's frequently a mud line out in the lake and fish seem to feed near the edge of it. You never know what you're going to catch, could be coho, rainbow, brown, carp, or bass. We also use boats to fish the outflow of the nuclear plant here as well and the fishing is unbelievable! But similarly, there's no shore access here anymore due to security.

dennyk

Reaction score
I have fished the tributaries in Luce County that flow into Lake Superior and have had some success with spring Steelhead. I've been wanting to find a couple locations here in SW lower Michigan to target Smallmouth and Carp. I need to find some good reed beds and let the learning process begin.

Good Luck Flyfisher!

Denny

ddb

Reaction score
One word of caution in wading the big lakes. Undertows can suck you beyond your depth in a heart beat and wading around river estuaries can put you on loose gravel sub strata that makes for poor stability.

Once you to know an area night fishing can be wild.

ddb

rockriver

Reaction score
One word of caution in wading the big lakes. Undertows can suck you beyond your depth in a heart beat and wading around river estuaries can put you on loose gravel sub strata that makes for poor stability.

Once you to know an area night fishing can be wild.

ddb
Absolutely true. I wear a auto inflation vest because this happens too often. There are often rip currents a few yards out in river areas. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited:

Atlas Axis

Reaction score
I'm going to bump this since I will be doing this in a couple months. I"ll be backpacking and camping along the shore of Lake Superior.

I bought Jerry Darkes's book Fly Fishing the Inland oceans. It does give solid tips about fishing from shore.
He mentions using an 8 weight rod and be prepared to cast into the wind like saltwater fishing. For lines he either recommends lines with long sinking heads (like +25 feet, also floating running lines if wading) or sinking polyleaders because you will likely need to be fishing deeper. Productive targets include river mouths and structure (drop-offs). At dawn and dusk fish may come into the shallows from deeper in the lake to hunt baitfish.

My waders weigh 5 pounds dry and I can fit them in my pack. I can hike in my wading boots (we won't be going more than 7 mi/day).

I have a 9wt with an Rio outbound short floating line. I"m thinking about picking up a fast sinking polyleader and practicing my casting at the pond before my trip.

I'll be careful to not wade too deep, and will do my best to be aware of rip tides and soft gravel bottoms.
It's June so perhaps I might run into some smallmouth.
I'll let you know how I do.

Any other advice or things I should consider would be appreciated.

Meuniere

Reaction score
With a fly rod, as you mention, river mouths and structure are your best bets. You will most definitely need to be fishing deeper, and you can use things like clousers (salt-water models can work too, if you have them), because looking to imitate baitfish is maybe your only option. I haven't fished up there in forever, but if the water is rough don't even bother, as it's dangerous and the fish won't be in close. Are you going to be along the Upper Peninsula, or.... ?

silver creek

Reaction score
There is fly fishing for Coaster Brook Trout in Lake Superior.

Meuniere

Reaction score
The protected coves/bays on Grand Island should be worth the effort, and if you don't mind fishing evening and possibly at night, you can probably get some walleyes coming up to take smaller fish in shallow(er) water, say 2 to 12 feet deep or so. If you're after fish in any quantity, I'd have to recommend spinning gear, but if you can get your streamers and other offerings down in the water near any protective structure, I think you should do ok. Ought to be a lot of fun, best of luck-

rockriver

Reaction score
I'd skip Grand Island and hike the trail through Pictured Rocks from Munising to Grand Marais. There are numerous fishing areas on the lake near rivers that should keep you busy. If you do go, stay back from the cliff areas since they can let go. Grand Island has a lot of day visitors and can seem crowded.

LePetomane

Reaction score
I have fished Lake Erie from the banks. My parents owned lakefront property and I would roam the beaches around the "mile creeks" looking for steelhead at the mouths. It can be productive.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Absolutely. If your timing is right, you can cast for cohos pretty successfully, and lake trout as well. Timing seems to be the key, and the closer you are to a river mouth I think helps.

If you can find stuff like rip rap you can target smallies, and carp and drum as well.