Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

Default Can one successfully bank fish the great lakes?

Is there any hope of success for a guy who just went out on the beach and started casting?

I do a family reunion on Lake Huron and often wonder about this. I never see anyone fishing and my mental image of fishing on the Great Lakes is either big boats or piers.

Default Re: Can one successfully bank fish the great lakes?

Yes there is. I do it on Lake Superior a lot. Find a creek or river flowing in and you'll do better. Get a copy of "Fly Fishing the Inland Oceans" by Jerry Darkes and you'll pick up a lot of info on it. https://www.amazon.com/Fly-Fishing-I...ustomerReviews I live on the shore of Superior and I see Eagles fishing within 50 yards of the shore all the time.

3. Likes k_e_v, dennyk, hairwing530 liked this post

I know things have changed on the great lakes since I lived there, but I caught a lot of fish wading the beaches of L Michigan and Superior in the past. Like rockriver said, find a stream mouth, especially in sterile lakes like Superior and Huron and you'll find fish (if the water temps are right). That's also a good place in the spring and fall as salmon and steelhead stage to move ustream. During the summer I always did best when the wind blew from off the shore for several days, blowing the warm surface water out, and cool water from down deep replaces it. It's called a thermal upwelling. That's when salmon and trout could be reached off the beaches, usually at first light. I know the forage base in the lakes has changed as have stocking programs since I fished there, but I'm sure temperature still is quite important.

5. Likes rockriver, hairwing530 liked this post

Before the terrorism concern at nuclear power plants, I used to go to the Kewaunee Nuclear Power Plant. I could park in the employee parking lot and walk to the power plan outlet.

You can see the security fence around the plant but there was free access to the outlow.

You can see the blue water flowing into Lake Michigan. There are fishing piers on each side. During the winter, the water flowing out of the pant is much warmer than the cold lake water and it attracts baitfish and salmon and trout follow the baitfish right into the outflow channel. I've caught browns, rainbows, and even lake trout in the outflow flume.

There would be boats trolling in the lake at the power plant.

The power plant has been decommissioned.

Explore Wisconsin, Kewaunee County, Wisconsin: attractions, historic sites, parks, nature centers, festivals, museums

Kewaunee Nuclear Plant
    State Hwy. 42, Kewaunee
    920-388-0688\
    The Kewaunee Nuclear Plant tower is a landmark for visitors entering and leaving the county. At 535 megawatts, the plant's generator is Wisconsin's largest. Since its 1974 start-up, the plant's operating and safety record has been rated outstanding by industry analysts. Fishing around the plant is so good that anglers are always there, no matter what the weather may be.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

7. Likes dennyk, hairwing530 liked this post

Seeing Silvers post reminded me that sewage plant outflows work much the same way. The treated water is warmer than the surrounding water and has lots of nutrients init that attracts baitfish and the fish that feed on them. Not always the best smells in those areas though.

Interesting. Might be something to do.

I like to fish the beachs of lake Huron(Canadian side) when the rivers get blown out, there's frequently a mud line out in the lake and fish seem to feed near the edge of it. You never know what you're going to catch, could be coho, rainbow, brown, carp, or bass. We also use boats to fish the outflow of the nuclear plant here as well and the fishing is unbelievable! But similarly, there's no shore access here anymore due to security.
    Danny

Blog Entries

I have fished the tributaries in Luce County that flow into Lake Superior and have had some success with spring Steelhead. I've been wanting to find a couple locations here in SW lower Michigan to target Smallmouth and Carp. I need to find some good reed beds and let the learning process begin.

Good Luck Flyfisher!

Denny

12. Likes rockriver, hairwing530 liked this post

One word of caution in wading the big lakes. Undertows can suck you beyond your depth in a heart beat and wading around river estuaries can put you on loose gravel sub strata that makes for poor stability.

Once you to know an area night fishing can be wild.

ddb

14. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by ddb View Post
    One word of caution in wading the big lakes. Undertows can suck you beyond your depth in a heart beat and wading around river estuaries can put you on loose gravel sub strata that makes for poor stability.

Once you to know an area night fishing can be wild.

ddb
    Absolutely true. I wear a auto inflation vest because this happens too often. There are often rip currents a few yards out in river areas. Thanks for the reminder.
    Last edited by rockriver; 04-15-2019 at 05:57 PM.

16. Likes hairwing530 liked this post