Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: Headed to MI!

Default Headed to MI!

I'm going on a rather short notice vacation to Michigan at the end of this week and through next week. I'll be in the SW section of the state near Niles. I think I could carve out a few days to fish, and I could take a drive from the Niles area to do so. I'd be willing to drive over to Sandusky, OH or maybe to Traverse City, MI?

Any recommendations? Anyone wanna get together to fish next week? I've never rowed a drift boat, but I learn really quickly and I'd be happy to spend 50% of the time on the oars. I'd be more than happy to trade a day in your drift boat for a day in my flats skiff whenever your family hounds you into hauling them all down to Disney!

Default Re: Headed to MI!

In your shoes, I would try the fly fishing only section of the Pere Marquette. Its a soft river to wade and there are lots of access points. Trout action should be tops right now as it is a bit early for the salmonand way past the steelhead runs. There is very good fly shop in Baldwin for info/flies that are working while you are there.

ddb

3. Thanks flafly14 thanked for this post
    Likes Kata2012, rockriver, dharkin, hairwing530 liked this post
  4. Default Re: Headed to MI!

Down around the Niles area there is Dowagiac Creek that has some trout. You might be able to find some Skamania in the St. Joe too or up in the Big Manistee.

Default Re: Headed to MI!

Trout fishing in Michigan is slowing down due to the rapidly rising water temps. We are into the dog days of summer. I'd recommend heading north towards the tip of the mitt to fish for smallmouth and/or some carp on the flats.

The more you know, the less you need.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

6. Likes rockriver, hairwing530 liked this post