Finally... a 50" on the fly!

pryal74

Reaction score
First off, I apologize for the incredibly poor photo. My Nikon was still on my nightstand. I had to use my ancient phone to get this pic. 51.5" on the tape. There are not many places this can even happen in the Yoop... but, it finally happened. I spooked a low 30s musky while standing up in my 'yak and about to cast. I thought, "This might not be my day. Forgot my camera. Now, spooked one of the only fish I might see." 5 minutes later as the clouds passed by... I thought I had a log or something near my streamer. Then, my streamer disappeared. The chaos ensued. I am still quite in shock over what transpired. A dream finally realized. 26th of the season. I could not be happier.DSCN80000.jpg

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations James!

I've never caught one but have spent some time hunting pike and know how long 50 is and I know how hard it is to find anything that large. Quite an accomplishment!

pryal74

Reaction score
Thanks! I made sure nothing happened to her. I spent a few minutes next to her in the flow to make sure she went back unharmed. It was surreal. It still is. Queen of the river! ;) 0824191129.jpg

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Well done!:clap::clap::clap::thumbsup:

Was she in some type of cover or structure that you know of, or did she just come out of the deep? Red & white, classic colors.

pryal74

Reaction score
She was on a break under this foam in about 4-5 feet of water. I didn't even realize it was her at first. The sun was blocked by some clouds and I couldn't see behind my fly with the glare. I thought there was a log or something my streamer was passing over. Then, my fly disappeared. She was barely hooked. Just an old rub mark (most likely) during the spawning season is my guess. She was stout, but she will certainly fatten up shortly for the Winter months.

okaloosa

Reaction score
Outstanding!!!!!!!!
takes a ton of patience and lots of skill....

justahack

Reaction score
Dang! Nothing wrong with that photo. 26 this year? You got it dialed and earned that fish. Nice work!

pryal74

Reaction score
You guys are the best =) I don't get out as much as I want to, but every chance I get I hit the water. It's been my best season for them on the fly yet. I had a better average last year. But, this year I am seeing and landing bigger fish. So happy this happened.

srock

Reaction score
Pryal, that is a very nice musky. I have caught 8 this year and most are in the mid 20 to mid 30 inch range. A plus 50 is a fish of a lifetime and a real achievement. Congratulations. I plan to fish for some musky in about one week and hope I can be only part as fortunate as you in da UP. You are correct in that there are not that many places in the UP that can produce a 50 incher, in part because there simply are not that many 50 inchers, period. Thanks for sharing. SR