Northern California Steelhead/Surf Rod Advise

jasalvas

Reaction score
Hello All,

Im going to be purchasing my first spey/switch rod within a couple of weeks. I have been doing a lot of research on which rod would serve me best. I have an opportunity to pick up a Thomas and Thomas 1308 at an extremely low price. I would love to have a T&T spey rod, but feel it would be over gunning the local rivers: Russian, Trinity etc. I have come across a couple 1207 Hardy rods that I have also considered. I have also come across a T&T 1307... I would like to use the rod for saltwater as well (surf).

Any suggestions or special considerations???

Please let me know what you think!

Thanks All!!

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Can't speak to the 'surf' bit but it's a coin toss as to a 12 to 13 footer on most Nor. Cal rivers. On the Smith the longer stick would be the better choice (it IS a darned big river!).

As for the others (Russian, Navarro, G., etc., the shorter stick would be the more appropriate of the two (imho). Ditto that for the Windchuck/Chetco just across the boarder into Oregon.

(For context, I lived in Healdsburg for years and used a 'who knew they were called that' 11' custom made switch rod. Worked a treat 95% of the time.)

fred

jasalvas

Reaction score
Thank you Fred,

I picked up a Thomas and Thomas 1308 yesterday and spent the afternoon casting it. I love the rod. It is light weight and casts beautifully. I actually purchased a AirFlo Delta Traditional line before I had purchased the rod and it is one that several people have recommended once they saw and casted the rod. So it has worked out. I actually have yet to use the line. A friend let me use his Mach 1 line on the rod and it matched well.

Thank you for your time in responding to my post! Hopefully my next posts will include large fish!

Thanks again Fred!

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Just thinking of some line strategery for surf fishing.

If you plan on overhead casting, you may want to use a shooting head rig. Start out with 30 feet of T17 (510 grains) connected to your favorite mono shooting/running line. If that feels too heavy, cut off a foot (17 grains). Keep repeating until the head feels comfortable when you cast it. You should get the right length within the first four feet. When you are dialed, you will have a killer Striped Bass rig.

Dennis