Trout Switch/Spey Results

glcaddis

Reaction score
This past weekend was the traditional opening weekend for the Michigan trout season. I made the trip, because it is something that, if missed, seems to taint the whole season. The outlook was not promising--high cold water, inclement weather, etc. I took my 10' 5 wt switch rod and my 11'7" 5 wt spey rod with me more for practice than anything else.

There were lots of bugs, hendriksons and BWOs, around, but no rising fish. In fact I caught the only fish that I saw rise on a hennie.

I fished the switch rod with double nymph, lead, and indicators on Thursday and found it very easy to cast, mend, and control the drift of the flies. While I didn't catch any fish that day, I loaned the rod to my friend who landed an 18" brown the next day on the same setup.

Sunday afternoon, I fished the spey, again for practice and was rewarded with a nice 12" brown on swung streamer. The Spey was a lot easier to cast the big streamer than with a traditional SH rod. My double haul has always left a lot to be desired, but the snap T, sent the streamer out where I wanted it (usually) and allowed for long swings. I was fishing a five wt Speydicator line with a five foot extra fast sinking polyleader and about three feet of 2x to the fly. Probably would have cast better with a bit longer tip section, but I was satisfied.

I see a lot more possibilities opening up for these two rods on larger streams like the Au Sable.

throwit

Reaction score
I know the feeling. Since I started playing with my 6 weight 11' switch my other rods are collecting dust. I used to bring 2 rods with me. One for indies and one for swinging. But the last few seasons it has been all switch. Just seems to flow better than the single hander for now I guess. Saturday was opener here in Ontario and I managed 2 chromers on the swing and 4 on on big nymph that also grabbed the fishes attention at the swing or end of drift.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Welcome to the forum throwit. When I first started using two handers, my single hand rods did the same thing. Gathered dust.

I have gotten back to where I use the single handers a bit more, but still use the two handers way more often. They are more fun, work better for many things, especially big water. I don't get tennis elbow every year anymore.

The better at it you become, the more fun they are.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Welcome to the forum throwit. When I first started using two handers, my single hand rods did the same thing. Gathered dust.

I have gotten back to where I use the single handers a bit more, but still use the two handers way more often. They are more fun, work better for many things, especially big water. I don't get tennis elbow every year anymore.

The better at it you become, the more fun they are.
Had to laugh when I read this. Seldom use a 1hander, but when I do they're usually 'spey cast.' The rod don't know, the line don't know, the fish don't know. Well, lets skip the last .......roll eyes here.

throwit

Reaction score
Oh ya no more sore shoulders either. My casting shoulder would be throbing after a day indie fishing with the single hander. Why didnt I try this 15 years ago??? Tight lines everyone!

roguebum

Reaction score
A friend of mine in Colorado has started selling switch rods and he let me demo one of his rods with a scandi head of my own creation. Its pretty sweet! He thinks he's getting it back!

It's pretty handy when I'm in the mood to overhead fish for trout and spey cast for steelies. I don't have to choose...I just bring different line to spool up. It's a 5wt rod so it works great for the summer run around here. I caught one winter fish on it, but it wasn't that large.

My buddy is bigger than I am, so if he starts to get angry at me for keeping the rod I may have to step up and pay for one. Or get an iron pipe. :starwars:

ontheflyguide

Reaction score
Here's one that I got with my 11' 4wt TFO.

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Here's another on a 6wt

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

And yet another on the 4 WT

I think the switch rod is the best invention ever!

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Lookin' Good Son, Lookin' Good.

Huge hug to you/family. Folks who don't know Nate/Wife/Kids have missed a total treat. The term "Good People" just doesn't cover it.

Looking forward to an invite to the Thanksgiving table.

Fred Evans

thenewlushlife

Reaction score
The idea of using double handers for more than just salmon and steelhead is an awesome movement that seems to be growing quite rapidly. I've been fishing double handers for some time now 7 & 8 weights only, until recently. I finally got my hands on a sage z-axis 5126. This rod is so incredibly light, I took it out for the first time a week ago, put on an airflo scandi compact 330 grain and let er' rip with a floating 10' poly leader, 4ft of 6lb maxima ultragreen and a humpy dry fly size 14 and caught a 17'-18' brown on its maiden voyage. I couldn't believe how well that trout bent the rod and gave me one hell of a fight on a double hander! I am so excited about this rod I can't even contain myself. Not to mention the dry fly presentation was out of this world for a 2hander, my prayers have been answered :)