Is Spey/Switch for me?

flyfisher117

Reaction score
Howdy Everyone.

Got back from another steelheading trip. No fish but I got to watch some more Spey/Switch fisherman and the more I watch them the more I want to get one of these rods! With such little ease they are capable of covering more river than I can ever dream with my single handed fly rods. I just wanted to ask around and see if they worth worth the invest for me personally.

Currently I am in Idaho fishing the Clearwater river for steel head, and I am planning on heading to the Salmon, Id area for some steelhead action. But I am throwing around the idea of leaving idaho and claiming Montana Residency with my parents (That means no more Steelhead, well I am sure I would have to make at least one trip a year).
So I was curious, I have been looking around at spey rod line weights but I am lost. Some guys are saying that they are just like a single hand rod others say it just depends on the rod. What I was wondering is could I get a spey rod that would allow me to catch steel head here in Idaho but also not be too big for trout in Montana? Would a 7wt allow me to catch steelies but not be so big that a smaller trout feels like bait?

I am having flashbacks to back when I was learning to fly fish and even to present day where I am along a big river such as the Clearwater, or the Yellowstone, or the Three Forks area of Montana and me not being able to cover much water at all. I dont have the money for a boat. I have considered a kayak or a little float tube but I am not sure if they are the best for river fishing. So I was curious if a Spey rod could maybe bridge that gap inebetween being shore (or as far off shore as I can get) and being on a boat for me?

Is there a season to fish a Spey/Switch rod? I was wondering if it were possible to fish them in the spring when rivers are high and fast?

To cast one of these rods effectively do you need to be in moving water? I was curious how one would do in a lake/pond targeting bass.

Thanks all!
I just wanted to ask before I get to crazy. I just spent $200 getting a spinning rod/reel set up but I am just not enjoying it as much as fly fishing. Im still having a blast but I have a little bit of a nagging desire to get something else. Before I spend MORE money on fishing I wanted to find out.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

I also forgot to mention, If I were to get one I want a rod that can handle some of those "breezy" Montana Days. Me and my 3wt would struggle in Montana and I dont think my 5wt would do much better.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are near Peck Idaho there is a shop called The Red Shed there. They will probably let you try a rod.

Is it for you.............. Some folks catch on quickly while others struggle with casting. My best advice on casting is, don't be in a hurry to hit 100 feet. Learn a good basic style and expand your range as it is comfortable to you.

There is no 2 hand season, you can use one all year round and can fish any species with them.

Moving water? let's just say that makes it way easier. If you fish still water there will be much stripping of line and you will need shooting head lines. Moving water = relaxing and long belly lines. No stripping, no swishing and water spraying, really an enjoyable way to fish.

For Montana rivers and brown trout I would be in heaven swinging my streamers looking for the big ones.

I see a few people here who are learning and it seems they are trying to cast too far before they are ready, it results in some pretty messy stuff. Everyone has a bad cast happen without knowing it's coming but if you take your time and build some solid basics it'll be a breeze. I learned by fishing with them, no videos just fishing. Some people get a lot from videos but I've watched them and they were helpful in helping me to identify the names of the casts I was already doing.

It's pretty amazing, like riding a bike, you will pick up the casts naturally. Like the bike there are only 2 ways, riding or falling down.

I say what I do about learning because not too many people can afford casting instruction. If you can, then by all means get them.

Ard

fq13

Reaction score
Howdy Everyone.

Got back from another steelheading trip. No fish but I got to watch some more Spey/Switch fisherman and the more I watch them the more I want to get one of these rods! With such little ease they are capable of covering more river than I can ever dream with my single handed fly rods. I just wanted to ask around and see if they worth worth the invest for me personally.

Currently I am in Idaho fishing the Clearwater river for steel head, and I am planning on heading to the Salmon, Id area for some steelhead action. But I am throwing around the idea of leaving idaho and claiming Montana Residency with my parents (That means no more Steelhead, well I am sure I would have to make at least one trip a year).
So I was curious, I have been looking around at spey rod line weights but I am lost. Some guys are saying that they are just like a single hand rod others say it just depends on the rod. What I was wondering is could I get a spey rod that would allow me to catch steel head here in Idaho but also not be too big for trout in Montana? Would a 7wt allow me to catch steelies but not be so big that a smaller trout feels like bait?

I am having flashbacks to back when I was learning to fly fish and even to present day where I am along a big river such as the Clearwater, or the Yellowstone, or the Three Forks area of Montana and me not being able to cover much water at all. I dont have the money for a boat. I have considered a kayak or a little float tube but I am not sure if they are the best for river fishing. So I was curious if a Spey rod could maybe bridge that gap inebetween being shore (or as far off shore as I can get) and being on a boat for me?

Is there a season to fish a Spey/Switch rod? I was wondering if it were possible to fish them in the spring when rivers are high and fast?

To cast one of these rods effectively do you need to be in moving water? I was curious how one would do in a lake/pond targeting bass.

Thanks all!
I just wanted to ask before I get to crazy. I just spent $200 getting a spinning rod/reel set up but I am just not enjoying it as much as fly fishing. Im still having a blast but I have a little bit of a nagging desire to get something else. Before I spend MORE money on fishing I wanted to find out.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

I also forgot to mention, If I were to get one I want a rod that can handle some of those "breezy" Montana Days. Me and my 3wt would struggle in Montana and I dont think my 5wt would do much better.
Right there with you. I see what those rods can do and I am intrigued as to how they would work in the salt and for bass. So there wouldn't be a trout stream current. The fly would just sit there until it was stripped. Is it worth it to get a clouser or crazy charlie farther out onto the flats or the lake?
'

jaybo41

Reaction score
I have little to add at this point, Ard's post is spot on. If you are near Peck, by all means go see Poppy or give him a call. He's very knowledgeable and incredibly friendly and helpful. From what I have gathered, some people love 2 handed casting and others do not. This in itself is a great reason to go visit a shop like The Red Shed and get some rods in your hands before pulling the trigger.

I have a 6wt Switch rod and it's a good match for Great Lakes Steelhead in the 4-6lb average range. Occasionally you'll get lucky and hook up with one in the 6-10 range. When you describe small trout, that's all relative. This rod would be overkill for the trout streams I usually fish where trout are nearly always under 20 inches but the occasional big ones are there. Even on the big ones it might be too much rod. I've fished it on a stream for Smallmouth and thought it tolerable for the larger ones, but on the smaller ones it was way too much rod but do-able. I added an 8wt this year to fish Kings with and while I'd love to spend more time with that rod on the steelhead I've mentioned but I think it might just be too much rod for them.

Think of the rods you usually trout fish with. More often than not, I am fishing for trout with a single hand 4wt. If I bump up to say a 5 wt, I can handle larger flies better but I lose a little bit in the sensitivity/feel/pick your favorite adjective. I guess what I'm saying is, while you may be able to get one rod to fish for both species in both regions, you may find that it will take more than one tool to do it right.

Last edited:

runningfish

Reaction score
The more I see people using the switch rods the more brake I have to use to stop myself. I am fishing mostly stillwater and ponds for trouts and bass and I don't have much backcast room. The larger trouts will hold up to 70ft away from the shore 12-15 deep; the 12" club is everywhere from 5-20ft from the shore, and we all want the big ones right?

For the guy who started this thread, go and check the Redington Dually Switch rod. I am eyeing that one as my beginner economical but decent switch rod.

flyfisher117

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I have never been to peck but I do drive past the road to get there every time I go fishing. Ill have to see if I can go fishilg again here soon and run in to talk to them at the shop there.

I don't have the money for lessons so if I do get a rod it will be me teaching myself on the river then using youtube to sharpen my skills. I am still learning single hand but I am proficient to fish most rivers. I really only struggle on big waters and brushy waters.

I sorta figured that I would be better off getting dedicated rods I just wanted to double check. Maybe it would be better for me to get a trout rod first. Steelhead season is lacking this year the count so far is not good. That and I remember the horror of trying to throw some large girdle bugs on the Gallatin River. I could hit a few spots but a spey rod would have let me fished a larger portion of the water. Then next fall I could potentially see what the steelhead count is and decide if a switch rod is worth it.

I never even considered the fact that you have to strip on lakes/ponds. Guess it has been a while since I've fished still water. So maybe it wouldn't be worth the hassle of a switch rod.

I don't have a hyperlink but cabelas has a switch rod on sale and it kind of lit the fire unde4 my butt to ask about them. Its a cabelas brand, on sale for $150 ($100 off normal price) and ithas a 25 year warantee which I thought was nifty. I was curious if anyone had seem them or owned one. I was wanting to save up for a new winston 5 wt but I enjoy my 3wt so much that a 2 hand 4-5 wt may be what I need then I can keep fishing the 3 wt and have the bigger rod for those big waters.

Not sure I'm just thinking outloud and my curiosity in switch fishing is growing.

delopez

Reaction score
When you talk about swinging for trout and for steelhead, most will tell you that it's really "two applications." However, if you have steelhead-sized trout, then is it one? I mean not to confuse you. So, I will clarify what I mean. Poppy, Ard, and all of these guys are a fantastic resource to learn from. If you're going to be fishing trout and still want to get into steelhead and not spend a lot, you could go switch. I would think six weight. I have a lpxe that I just love. It has an extendable graphite handle on the lower end. I can use this rod for a multitude of fishing situations. I can put a bass taper on and fish for smallies, put a scandi on and do some spey casting, put a good weight forward and indicator and do some high-stick nymphing. The sky is the limit with a switch.

I love spey casting. I love swinging flies, period. Again, none of these guys will steer you in the wrong direction. I will just warn you that it can get expensive really quick!

flyfisher117

Reaction score
I love spey casting. I love swinging flies, period. Again, none of these guys will steer you in the wrong direction. I will just warn you that it can get expensive really quick!
Thanks, I was wondering if a 6wt would work but I was afraid it may be a little small on some of these 28"+ B Run fishes I am hearing stories of. Give them a little current and I think they would litterally give me a good run.

The cost is what has me pondering it the most. I dont know if the cost is worth it for me at this time. I dont have a ton of time to fish and money is valuable in school so I have thought about looking for somebody local that would be willing to take me and let me give their Switch rod a whirl. I know a few guys that own them its just a matter of talkin with them. That way I can scratch that itch to try and also see if I enjoy it at all.

nick k

Reaction score
I think its for anyone that has an interest, as long as your expectations are realistic. I fish fresh stillwater for largemouth and bream almost exclusively, and I have a blast with my Spey rod. Is it a great use case? Hell no, but its fun and interesting.

fq13

Reaction score
How is the back cast on brushy banks? This what I'm picturing it for, bass and snook fishing and casting casting off docks with boats and along wooded canal banks. Can I cast the rod without getting hung up on stuff behind me?

delopez

Reaction score
I've had no problem spey casting in brush. snake roll, or snap t. You will get frustrated, annoyed, and then you will learn, get comfortable, and casts will be nothing more than a muscle memory. :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

runningfish

Reaction score
I think its for anyone that has an interest, as long as your expectations are realistic. I fish fresh stillwater for largemouth and bream almost exclusively, and I have a blast with my Spey rod. Is it a great use case? Hell no, but its fun and interesting.
I have a Noob question about switch casting. Say, I have the 6wt 11ft switch rod with whatever line, is there a limitation on how close I can cast? Can I cast 30-40ft or even 20ft with that?

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I do a lot of flip casting while I'm still on shore about ten feet from the waters edge. I use 13'9" and 15' rods as well as a 13. I try very hard not to ignore the near shore possibilities by wading right in and spooking a good fish.

Fishing short is not a problem, the hard part is getting used to handling - netting or landing a fish with such a long rod. If you think a 9 footer is long, wait until you add a few feet to it.

nick k

Reaction score
The reservoir I generally fish has a steap rocky embankment around it, so you walk about 3-4ft above water level. I catch most fish there less than 20ft from shore. Even in this scenario, I often find that my 12'6'' with a scandi is more efficient than my single hander. Most times, I keep the tip of the back end of the head on the reel, and I overhead or flip cast the rest of the line. I find that I can cast the 30ft head with one backcast of about 10ft of line, which would take me several backcasts and some challenging angles with my single hander.

Sub 30ft, a scandi head might as well be a single hand line, and you can use it as such.

runningfish

Reaction score
The 1st 20-30ft water is very fun to fish and I think we should fish it first.

To be honest, I couldn't sleep well last night thinking about the switch rod and I am also at the point of no return, almost.
What stopping me is that I am just into fly fishing for 1 year and I am wondering if I should get more experience with the single hand before going to the switch/spey rod.

If I were going to get the switch rod 6wt 11ft, can I use my 8wt Rio Outbound short single handed line?

jaybo41

Reaction score
The 1st 20-30ft water is very fun to fish and I think we should fish it first.

To be honest, I couldn't sleep well last night thinking about the switch rod and I am also at the point of no return, almost.
What stopping me is that I am just into fly fishing for 1 year and I am wondering if I should get more experience with the single hand before going to the switch/spey rod.

If I were going to get the switch rod 6wt 11ft, can I use my 8wt Rio Outbound short single handed line?
What you want to do is establish a grain window for said 11' 6wt. Since you mention Rio line, go here and look for your rod. Note there are old and new charts, so if you don't see your rod on the new chart, check the old one. There are some other good reads on Rio's website about lines and 2 hand fishing that are worth your time to read.

Spey Line Recommendations - Spey Central | RIO

As for whether or not to do it given 1 year under your belt, there are probably 2 schools of thought.

Interjecting 2 hand casting could impede your single hand casting development OR, interjecting 2 hand casting could help your single hand casting. Honestly, after 14 years of single hand fishing and now 2 of 2 hand casting my experience has been that there are aspects of each that help me in the other. That said, I could still use practice/instruction on both to make the casts look pretty but I still manage fish and most important, I have fun doing both.

delopez

Reaction score
If you call Steve Godshall, he could give you great insight on how to line the rod that you choose.

runningfish

Reaction score
What you want to do is establish a grain window for said 11' 6wt. Since you mention Rio line, go here and look for your rod. Note there are old and new charts, so if you don't see your rod on the new chart, check the old one. There are some other good reads on Rio's website about lines and 2 hand fishing that are worth your time to read.

Spey Line Recommendations - Spey Central | RIO

As for whether or not to do it given 1 year under your belt, there are probably 2 schools of thought.

Interjecting 2 hand casting could impede your single hand casting development OR, interjecting 2 hand casting could help your single hand casting. Honestly, after 14 years of single hand fishing and now 2 of 2 hand casting my experience has been that there are aspects of each that help me in the other. That said, I could still use practice/instruction on both to make the casts look pretty but I still manage fish and most important, I have fun doing both.
That is a very informative link, I saw some of the models that I know in that list. I am eyeing the Cabelas ones, they are on sale right now and the new Redington Dually.

I hope the guy who started this thread is still following this and I am sorry for hijacking your thread.

Well, I can answer myself now. I will definitely taking the switch rod but only after I improve myself with the single hand.

delopez

Reaction score
If you were in Missouri, id take you out with mine... Would love to help. With a two hander, you can eliminate the need for double hauling. You can also use the benefits from using both hands to line up your casting.

runningfish

Reaction score
If you were in Missouri, id take you out with mine... Would love to help. With a two hander, you can eliminate the need for double hauling. You can also use the benefits from using both hands to line up your casting.

Thank you for your offer, I am in the California. :(