A funny look at the questions we ask :)

flytie09

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to trying out my Commando line for steelhead this fall in NY. I hope to breath new life into my dusty single handers. I might try all of those "can I do this?" scenarios. If I can do what I see other anglers doing with it, then it will be a handy tool for sure.

I'm just not planning to use the OPST sink tips and I don't have many MOW or IMOW tips so I hope I this won't limit its use. I have mostly home made T_ tips.

I'm pretty psyched. But like anything new... it's the anticipation of doing something that's better than doing it.

I try to remember... there are no dumb questions.... only dumb answers. But this doesn't always apply.

This was a clever video.....

ft09

ddb

Reaction score
What specific rod/reel/line combos are you planning to use? Also a follow-up on how they worked out would be nice.

Regards and good luck,
DDB

flytie09

Reaction score
Let's see I have 2 lower end single hand 8 wt rods to tinker with.

- Cabela's Traditional II 10' 8 Wt
- Redington's Red Fly2 9' 8 WT

Backing - 100+ ft Gel spun
Running Line - 100 ft Ebay .038" coated level taper fly line
Shooting Head - Commando 325 grain
Sink Tip - 10' T8 or T-10
Tippet - 3' 10lb Drennan Fluoro
Flies - Speys, Intruders, Egg Sucking Leeches, Sculpins, and Swymphs (swung large stonefly patterns)

I may be over-lining the rod... If so, I'll use it on my 10.5' Echo 6/7 classic switch.

I'll post some feedback once I've given it a whirl.

Cheers,

ft09

desmobob

Reaction score
He's already on my YouTube "subscribed" list. Oliver Sutro's videos are excellent. Check out his salmon and skiing videos and his vacation video. Good stuff.

Tight lines,
Bob

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Everyone here put up with my dumb questions for quite some time. Thank you!

Best way to learn is to cast and fish. I think we all fear buyers remorse in two handed rigs and lines.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Everyone here put up with my dumb questions for quite some time. Thank you!

Best way to learn is to cast and fish. I think we all fear buyers remorse in two handed rigs and lines.
When I shopped for my first two hander, I remember the first thing I noticed was what seemed like 100 "just like brand new" rods and lines for sale on other forums at all times. That caught my attention in a bad way.