Spey/Switch Rods and Target Fish

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
What kinds of fish do you target with your Spey and switch rods?

Here in Northern California, there are a variety of fish that can be caught with a Spey or switch rod. Most of the year, I'll target local Rainbow Trout on my home waters, the Lower Yuba. In the fall and winter, I start concentrating on Steelhead. When spring rolls around, it's time to fish for American Shad.

One of my friends has found a use for his switch rod. He uses it to fish for Smallmouth Bass on something that is slightly larger than a small stream (NF American River). There are some areas that have some large pools that he likes to work streamers into. Also there are some pocket waters that he nymphs.

MP

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I'm a rank amateur at the Spey game, only playing once so far and that being for Steelhead on the Salmon River(Idaho).
I am however seeing some other applications like those big toads that sit around the boulders in the middle of a wide, deep run that is otherwise unreachable without a boat, or places where a long cast is needed but you have little to no room for a backcast.

Maybe Carp on those large expansive flats on the Snake river above and below American Falls Reservoir.

#1 choice will be for chasing Steelhead on the Salmon and Clearwater Rivers, perhaps someday making a jaunt to the PNW or Alaska.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I'm (very slowly) building up a 10' 4/5wt rod as a switch, and plan on using it for trout and bass on some of the larger rivers I fish. It will be used for swinging streamers, high-stick nymphing, and traditional wet fly work.

I think it'll also be handy for covering wide rivers during the white bass run in the spring.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I have been targeting Walleye. Last summer I started catching really big Walleye with a single hand rod. The problem with that here is though, we have really high, close banks. The river gets deep really fast. Wearing waders only gets you a few more feet of casting room. This is why I came up with the idea of the spey rod. From the sounds of it, I may be the first person to target Walleye with a spey rod. This may have a lot to do with the fact that not many people target walleye with any kind of fly rod. It has worked out really well for me too. Just this summer I have broken the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame catch and release records for Walleye in the 12, 14, 16, and if my line does not under test, the unlimited tippet records. I have been fishing 8 lb. tippet, and think I have a really good shot at knocking that one off before ice as well. I broke the 10 lb. tippet last summer with my 5 wt. single hand rod. Next year I may have to go back to a single hand rod and a float tube to get the 2, 4, and 6 lb. records. The problem with light leaders and a 15 foot rod is clousers basically become free flying projectiles. Maybe a lighter switch rod? I'll have to think about it this winter. Here is a Walleye that tied the 16 lb. tippet record, but I didn't have a witness, and couldn't turn it in. I took the photo with a small tripod [5"] and a timer. The fish didn't want to cooperate, and spiked me in the chin with its dorsal fin. You can't see it in the photo, but I'm setting on a log there. It worked out OK because I got a bigger one a few days later and had the witness.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Dan, good job! I'm not a guy who chases records, but it's sick to chase a new speices and score.
Used my Z-switch on steelies, big rainbows, Truckee Riv. browns, and the cutties at Pyramid Lake.
Used it fishing on a dam face for smallmouth too. Anywhere you can't wade, and don't have room behind to cast, it rules.

Last edited: