Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Re: Big Spey Rod Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
    I was watching a TV show not along ago and they cuaght a pike with the color you are talking about. They called it a blue pike, somehting about a rare coloration of pike, had something to do with the pigmentation, being diffrent.
    Bear
    You know I looked into that, but all the blue pike I could find pretty much were free of markings all together. It is a genetic mutation. In some systems they seem to be up to 10% of the Pike population and do not cross breed with normal Pike. It would be cool if it was but I was kind of uncertain in this one because of the markings. Even the markings are a little odd on this fish. Instead of just the flattened oval marks typical in Pike, it has rings, squiggles, and w type stuff. Just odd marks. If I could find where there was an accepted blue pike with marks it would be great. Every single tippet class record in the catch and release [Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame] is open for Blue Pike. It would make it a record. Have you seen one that still has markings?

2. Default Re: Big Spey Rod Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    You know I looked into that, but all the blue pike I could find pretty much were free of markings all together. It is a genetic mutation. In some systems they seem to be up to 10% of the Pike population and do not cross breed with normal Pike. It would be cool if it was but I was kind of uncertain in this one because of the markings. Even the markings are a little odd on this fish. Instead of just the flattened oval marks typical in Pike, it has rings, squiggles, and w type stuff. Just odd marks. If I could find where there was an accepted blue pike with marks it would be great. Every single tippet class record in the catch and release [Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame] is open for Blue Pike. It would make it a record. Have you seen one that still has markings?
    I had never even heard of blue pike until I seen this show. I honestly dont recall if the fish they caught (1) had markings or not. sorry.
    Still it sounds like a trophy, many people fish and hunt all their lives without getting something really diffrenet like that.

Yah, I thought it was pretty cool too. The first thing out of my Canadian friend's mouth when I landed it was "Wow, look how silver it is!" Oddest colored pike I ever caught.

WOW! I'd love to catch a pike like that, Dan. I'd love to catch any pike...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    WOW! I'd love to catch a pike like that, Dan. I'd love to catch any pike...
    If you ever make it out this way I'm pretty sure we could make that happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12