Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default The history of Switch Casting

I love to read about fly fishing history and Paul Schullery is the expert

From today's Midcurrent email
    Fly Fishing Answers, Switch Cast History - MidCurrent
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Default Re: The history of Switch Casting

Good article, thanks for posting the link Rip...

Dan

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

+1 with Dan on that.

Don't think I've ever heard of the web site ... but I'm registered now ... and suspect I'll end up killing a few hours reading back issues.

I knew that switch/spey casting had a long history here in the US but this is the first real historical information I've seen.

Fred
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    +1 with Dan on that.

Don't think I've ever heard of the web site ... but I'm registered now ... and suspect I'll end up killing a few hours reading back issues.

I knew that switch/spey casting had a long history here in the US but this is the first real historical information I've seen.

Fred
    Fred, I'm not sure it's the same "switch" as today's switch rod. The switch rod of today has only been around since the late 90's. Meiser build a rod for a doctor friend. In a nutshell, a rod he could use two handed or single handed and it had to be light enough for fishing all day. Thus switch rods- switching from a two handed casting style and with the same rod, casting overhand, single rod style.

But what exactly is switch casting? Maybe some day more history of it will come out.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Thumbs up Re: The history of Switch Casting

Mojo, I think you have assessed it right. Hope to see more history on how recent switch rods evolved.
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2:

6. Default Re: The history of Switch Casting

I still fish the Harlem Meer with a Spey Rod, and I thought I was the first to do so.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Fred, I'm not sure it's the same "switch" as today's switch rod. The switch rod of today has only been around since the late 90's. Meiser build a rod for a doctor friend. In a nutshell, a rod he could use two handed or single handed and it had to be light enough for fishing all day. Thus switch rods- switching from a two handed casting style and with the same rod, casting overhand, single rod style.

But what exactly is switch casting? Maybe some day more history of it will come out.
    Actually 'the concept' (personal experience) has been around since the early '60's. Waaaay back in the Day Angler's Workshop was alive and well (still located across the parking lot from Lamiglas if memory serves) and I had them build up a 10 S-glass fly rod for me (at that time they had a rod builder on staff). Reason for them doing the build job was trying to do a second cork handle by hand and filing down/sanding the cork was just more than I wanted to take on.

End game was they took about a 6" (old memory here) bit off a broken (flawed blank?) rod and did up the cork and glued in the extra 4" of cork into the butt of the rod.

Did it ever occur to anyone (me included) we'd just made up a 'spey rod' let alone a 'switch rod?' Not a chance.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

I'm not sure of the quality of the rods in the late 1800's, but isn't a "switch" a rod cut from a tree?

Wink Re: The history of Switch Casting

Quote Originally Posted by sixweight View Post
    I'm not sure of the quality of the rods in the late 1800's, but isn't a "switch" a rod cut from a tree?
    Why not? All "fishing rods" were made from similar materials as that's what was available.

fae