What sort of waters?

handlebars

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to fly fishing in general, and while poking around I saw some videos for spey fishing and spey casting and it looks like quite a bit of fun. My question is, what sort of water is spey useful for?

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Handlebars. Welcome to this sport that we call fly fishing. It is an addiction, too. I will let Outback MP handle this one while I go fishing.

Outback MP Answers Handlebars' Question

MP
Hey MP ....That's funny and interesting with great explainations as usual:thumbsupu....the way the guy is dressed is a bit weird though...you're going to revolutionize the forum;)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
MP: That was great! Outback MP might get a bit chilly out here this time of year in that outfit!

Larry

handlebars

Reaction score
That's amazing, and very funny. Thanks a bunch, I think I might pick up a spey rod now, any suggestions for a entry level rod below $200? I noticed Orvis marked one of theirs down to $125, any other good companies with deals like that?

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
OBMP may dress strangely but his information is good. Handlebars, look around and cast some different models before you buy. The ideal situation would be to find out if there is a Spey Clave planned for your area. When you're ready to buy don't overlook E-BAy.

Dan

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
That's amazing, and very funny. Thanks a bunch, I think I might pick up a spey rod now, any suggestions for a entry level rod below $200? I noticed Orvis marked one of theirs down to $125, any other good companies with deals like that?
Glad that you enjoyed Outback MP.

Seriously, most price pointed Spey rods will start around $299. I believe TFO has one at the $259 price point. You can find some below that price point by buying a closeout or used rod.

Be reallistic on the rod size that you want to get. Don't buy an inexpensive 10 weight rod if you intend to target trout or steelhead. Here in NorCal, the most popular rod size is a 6 weight because it can handle Steelhead, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, American Shad, and Smallmouth Bass.

MP

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Glad that you enjoyed Outback MP.

Seriously, most price pointed Spey rods will start around $299. I believe TFO has one at the $259 price point. You can find some below that price point by buying a closeout or used rod.

Be realistic on the rod size that you want to get. Don't buy an inexpensive 10 weight rod if you intend to target trout or steelhead. Here in NorCal, the most popular rod size is a 6 weight because it can handle Steelhead, Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, American Shad, and Smallmouth Bass.

MP
Pretty much the same thing here in Southern Oregon. During the late summer some of us will even drop down to as low as a 5wt (Anderson Custom Rod's is the builder) and talk about a complete hoot!

Unless you're talking REALLY BIG WATER and/or HUGE flies will a rod over an 8 or 14 foot be required? No. Heavier lined/14+' length rods just grind you down over the course of the day.

One other web Fora to explore is the "SpeyPages" web board. Been around/active for years and it's 99% a 2-hander show.

But to your specific question: 'what type of waters.' Anything over 30-40 foot wide. Shorter than that and a 2-hander can be 'over kill.' (Remember there isn't a 'spey cast' that can't be done easily with a one hander.) The second situation would be where back casting room is very limited. Your typical spey cast only needs about two rod lengths of 'clear air' for the formation of the D loop. Several casts (snap t, circle, snake, etc.,) are actually all formed out over the water and one rod length is about all you need)

fae