one handed spey casting

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Yes I have. Although to do it where you get distance you need both hands. (Watch my left hand in the video) It helps to have a long head, be able to tell where the head ends and the running line starts, and a rod with a less than ultra fast action. I've never tried it with a double taper line, but I would think they would be good for that, but again you need to find the sweet spot in the line and mark it. I did a video a while back. The rod was underlined by one weight. You do not need to underline, nor is it required that you overline it. The best way to learn it by learning to spey cast with a two hand rod first, but you don't need to do it either. It just to me anyway seems to be the easiest way to do it.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zPvfADZdo4"]Single Hand Spey Casting[/ame]

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I knew You would spot this and put that clip up so I just waited you out :D Since I have no video it seemed pointless to try to put into words what your film shows. Great casting there by the way DD. I was a single hand Spey caster for over 20 years and never knew that there was a name for what I was doing. It took until I got a two hand rod and saw some pictures of the casts and then it dawned on me that I was Spey casting. Whether you go 2 hand first or visa versa the transition is easy once you have developed the basics. When I came from my 1 hand Spey cast to the 13' rod I was making fishable casts in about 5 minutes and landed my first fish within half an hour.

Dans video shows you how far the cast can be made with very little room needed behind you to do it. When things get really tight you will lose a little distance but you can make a really good cast with the alders at your back. The difference between the standard roll cast and the Spey cast is a matter of a pre-determined line positioning, a quick pause to allow the line to establish an anchor to its new location on the surface, and most importantly TIMING. Also in accordance with what Dan said a rod with some mid flex is way better than a tip flexing speed demon when you are doing this style of casting.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i plan to use my fiberglass 6 weight for this
9' rod? What line do you plan to use on it? Another thing that helps is knowing that speed is not a great thing with the spey cast.If you notice in my video, the front part of the head is "Anchored" on the water. This dragging the anchor is what loads the rod. Trying to go to fast will result in blowing your anchor and at best you will be pulling your fly out of the brush behind you. At worst your fishing buddy will be pulling the fly out of you. It took me a while to learn to slow down when I first started. If you really need to get distance, you still go slow, but move the rod forward without rotation, rotate late and haul late. By moving forward without rotation you sort of 'preload' the rod. I should probably do a more instructional type video. This was not the purpose for this one.

On another note. The cast I start at 0:23 in the video is called the around double spey. I personally think it's named wrong but that's a different subject. Don't try that one till you are sure you have real good line control or again, your fishing buddy will be pulling a hook out of you. I have done this cast with my 15' Meiser and it freaks everyone around out. It is a seriously fun cast. Add that to your bag 'o tricks late into the curve.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Longer is better but it'll still work. (The rod ) The line has a 45.5' head. That's a good length. I think the running line and head are the same color. What you should do is put a peice of electrical tape or something like it on where you think the head starts and try casting it. You may need to move the tape around ( It goes at the rod tip ) till you find where it casts best and then make a permanent mark with a sharpie or something. In the video I'm using a Trevor Morgan line, which has a green running line and a white head. On the 8 wt. rod I was using, it cast best with about 2' of head in the rod. It may take a bit of experimenting to find the spot.

grassonfly

Reaction score
its longer than a bass line haha i think its decently lokng because its made for control on long distances i have no trouble putting out 60 feet

BigCliff

Reaction score
Longer rods are always better when it comes to any form of roll casting, but a short rod can be made to work. Last time I fished, I was doing some single handed spey casts with my 6'9" glass 5wt.

My 10' 5wt handles them MUCH better though.

Jackster

Reaction score
Single-handed spey casts are the bomb when fishing small streams where hardly anything but roll casts are possible. A snake roll lets you change direction and do the cast in one move without crossing the rod and line and tangling them. These single hand spey casts can be done with normal lines on any size rod. Just the ticket for small water and short rods.

latshki

Reaction score
I do a spey cast like thing when a roll cast is need as I suck at roll casts and get a better presentation from the spey cast

but it's not like Im pretending I am using a two hander or anything...