New rod blank!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
After a whole lot of searching, I finally found the rod blank I was wanting. Thomas and Thomas can roll any blank they ever made pretty much, if you want one. I was talking to a guy at Thomas and Thomas on a completely different subject, when I mentioned I had been looking for a 17' or so rod in an 11 or 12 wt. They had made a 17' 11 wt. and told me they could roll me a blank. Best part of it is, they will sell it to me at the MSRP and not jack the price up as a special order. Nice guys huh? Since I fish near the airport a lot, I may need to put a blinking red light on the end of this when it's done. Yahoo!

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
so whats the thing weigh? (arms tiring as i type;)).
I'm not sure, but the 14' 9 wt I'm building is pretty light. I'm just guessing but it can't weigh much more than an ounce or two. Once you start tossing big handles and reel seats on it you have a different story, but even then I doubt it will be to much. Also it's not like casting a single hand rod where you have a bunch of back casts. With a spey rod, in the words of my Canadian friend "a couple quick Ninja moves, and your fly is back out at the piling." By the way, that one made me laugh when he said it. I told him I was going to steal it, and Voila! I just did.

theboz

Reaction score
Hey Dan this rod sounds wild ! Think your casts are gonna be more like launches. What I want to know is how many guides do you use to build this monster and do they taper down in size or do you repeat some of the sizes? Just curious,

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do three stripper guides on big rods like this, 20, 16 and 12. I then go snake guides from 6 to 4. I repeat sizes in in groups. On my Meiser it was two 6's, four 5's and four 4's. It's going to take a couple more guides for this rod, but it'll be close to the same set up.

mojo

Reaction score
You're welcome up here anytime you want to make it this far. This thing is going to be insane. I'll be able to hit Canada with this thing. :frogdance
You gonna have to get a license to fish Canada then?

lynch

Reaction score
It's nice T&T is back in the game and will roll you a custom/out of stock blank. Their 13' 7wt, DH 1307-3 is one sweet stick.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Lynch and welcome to the forum.

I should have the blank here any day now. I talked to T&T and they had already started rolling it. I have even started making grip parts already. I have the reel on the way to. Got a Tibor Pacific QC Saltwater Fly Reel for 12, 13, 14 wt. It's a giant heavy beast. I love it.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's about 5 1/2". It's for 13/14/15wt.!! I also found a US dealer for the Carron Jetstrean long belly line I'm putting on it. The Red Shed fly shop. I was thinking about how to do it from Scotland and thought I'd check the Red Shed just in case, because Poppy lives and breaths all things spey. He has it.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I got the all the parts ordered, the new reel for it, and even the new line for it. I got the Carron Jetstream with a 95' head. YeeeeHaaaaaw! I'm going to put an ad in the paper over in Rainy River, Ontario that for safety reasons they should wear protective eye wear when standing on the river bank. :D