Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default First post here, would like some switch rod advice

Hey all, first post on this forum, and I'm looking to expand my arsenal with a switch rod. I've spent the last several weeks researching it to death and haven't come to any conclusions as far as what rod or line to buy. I have already bought a Redington Rise 9/10 reel for this rig since it was on clearance. I have also been going back and forth on building a rod such as a Rainshadow kit since my buddy has most of the equipment to do so and his dad can help me along the way since he has decent rod-building experience. I have also been considering rods like the Echo SR, Redington CPX, and TFO Deer Creek. Does anyone have any experience with a Wild Water HX switch? stumbled across it in my research and they seem to have a very good warranty and customer service but the only beef with that rod is the 9" top grip. I'm leaning towards a 7 weight. It will be used on most of the lakes I fish which include bass, large trout, pike, and carp and will also be my AK rod. For the most part I plan on throwing heavy flies (think lead, tungsten, and rabbit). Am I headed in the right direction going for a switch rod? I see a lot more about using switches for nymphing and swinging. Ideally I'd like to stay around $320 ish, I am still in college after all. Sorry for the long post, and any suggestions/advice is much appreciated!

Blog Entries

Default Re: First post here, would like some switch rod advice

Hi,

I don't have anything shorter than a 13' when we talk long rods so I can't offer specific Switch advice. Based or what you say you are going to cast I would think you'll want to get into something that will use a fairly heavy head. By heavy I'm talking 550 grains or more. The heavier the line, the bigger the load it will project with less effort from you. I seldom use fur strip flies but when I do I find that they match up well with a 40' 720 grain short head line Ii got last year.

There will be some fellow Switch guys who will spot this and give you more specialized advice than I can but I figured you should get an answer so...........

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors