Monsters do exist, I need one.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was talking to Ard and he told me about an old Hardy catalog JP sent him. In it they had a Hardy Favourite 20' 12 wt. two hander. If any of you ever hear of one of these someone is willing to part with, please let me know.
20' 12wt:eek::teef::rolleyes::eek:...had not noticed that monster...put an ad on the uk forum Dan...will have a look on ebay uk from times to times for you...;)

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
20' 12wt:eek::teef::rolleyes::eek:...had not noticed that monster...put an ad on the uk forum Dan...will have a look on ebay uk from times to times for you...;)
+1; highly doubtful you'd find anything over 18' on this side of the Pond. And those would be competition rods. Years back had a 18' 10wt B & W and it beat the hell out of me. Hour's fishing, if you lasted that long, and you were dead beat tired.

Edit: Thinking about the thread title and thought about introducing you to my first wife ..........

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I would appreciate that JP. I put it as a wanted item on the UK forum, Spey pages and as a saved search in the US ebay. When Ard told me they made a rod that big I got all sorts of excited. :D Carron makes a line with a 105' head. That rod would throw that no problem. Just think of all the fun that rod would be.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Dan,

I sent my UK connection an e-mail asking that he ferret one out for me, time will tell. As I told you these are very nicely made rods, very similar to my 13'9" SalmonFly but much bigger.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
WOW:eek: thats a monster for sure. can you cast small mammals with it.. good luck, look forward to seeing video of this..

baseman1

Reaction score
My Greatgrandpa had built some in the 20' range. All of them were 1 piece made of wood. My dad had them along with most of our family's belongings in storage when the garage burnt down. Oh how I would have loved to have had even one of them.

tonyprior

Reaction score
Edinburgh, Scotland & part of year in Kafjord, Nor
Well very interesting. I haven't seen or heard of a 20' Hardy over here in UK, though doubtless one or two exist. But yesterday I came across an interesting article on the subject of long rods, by our last rod-builder in Scotland, Harry Jamieson of the Trossachs Rod Company, the maker of 'Clan' rods. Mr Jamieson traces a direct lineage to Alexander Grant of Inverness, whose exploits with the long greenheart 'Vibration' rods and silk lines at the turn of the last century were only recently equalled (distance casting). He holds some very unfashionable theories as to the usefulness of long rods versus short rods, which can be found here:

http://www.clanofsweden.com/documents/Thoughts about the rod.pdf

I believe the Trossachs Rod Co is still in business and the rods are highly thought of by those in the know. (I have no affiliation with the company, btw,)

Good luck with your search :)

theboz

Reaction score
Funny thing is your probably gonna find one! There is a surf rod company out there that makes a 19'8" rod and a 23' rod of carbon /graphite. They call their rods "Monster Rods"!
Back in the 30s and 40s when casting competitions were real big Winston made the winning sticks. You have a 15 from them now what's 5 more feet? Can't wait to see this thing!

theboz

Reaction score
Wow Fred! Looked them up Bruce & Walker Norway Speycaster 20' 4 piece ! This thing is a monster! And they've got a bunch of 18s like they're run of the mill!

fredaevans

Reaction score
Had one of the 18's and it was a 'Monster Rod;' far more than I could handle. I can just imagine what a 20'er would be like. :eek:

If you decide to jump on the 20 footer (http://bruceandwalker.co.uk/products/salmon-rods/norway-speycaster-4x4/) one thing to keep in mind the 20% VAT is waived as rod is being shipped 'out country.' To get a rough idea of 'your cost' take the list price 'times' .8 'times' $1.62 (approx. conversion rate of dollar to the Pound). Shipping would be costly due to the length of the package. Will have to go UPS/DSL/whom-ever. Max length of a Postal package (if memory serves) is 1 meter long, and you'd be waaaay over that.

Forgot to add: I purchased my 18 footer direct from B & W, whole process went 'as smooth as silk.'

Fred

Last edited:

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Fred. I appreciate the research you have done in this. Carron does a 20'er also, but they don't tell you what they get for one. Team Carron has done some amazing things with those rods. At least if I can't find the Hardy 20'er, there are a couple more options.

fredaevans

Reaction score
Thanks Fred. I appreciate the research you have done in this. Carron does a 20'er also, but they don't tell you what they get for one. Team Carron has done some amazing things with those rods. At least if I can't find the Hardy 20'er, there are a couple more options.
Couple of things. In Comp casting 18' is as long as it gets to my knowledge. The bad news is 'Team Carron' is no more. Disbanded about a year ago.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The bad news is 'Team Carron' is no more. Disbanded about a year ago.
Oh no! What happened there? Does Gordon Armstrong still cast for Carron or do they even do competitions now?

I saw a competition a while back where they used real fishing conditions in a river with 15' rods. The top two places were really far casts. But everyone else, not so much.