Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: after much decision...echo I went

1. Default Re: after much decision...echo I went

Quote Originally Posted by MacSuibhne View Post
    Modern shooting/running line which has historically been thin monofilament and didn't break the water tension (theoretically) is now being made hollow so that it will float even better.
    Okay, so perhaps a bad example. But what about something like triangle taper of ambush which roll casts better than full float line?

2. Default Re: after much decision...echo I went

Quote Originally Posted by derelict View Post
    Okay, so perhaps a bad example. But what about something like triangle taper of ambush which roll casts better than full float line?

I can't answer that. I don't have any experience with ambush lines and when it comes to two-handed, I'm using skagit heads.

Default Re: after much decision...echo I went

Ambush lines are another form of a Skagit line. It is short, heavily weighted head with an integrated running line. It is an option, just make sure you're matching the grains of the skagit "B" column with the Ambush grain weight, not the line weight number. I'm new too. I've settled on Scandi for smaller, lighter flies that I want to fish in or just under the film. A Skagit for bigger flies to fish deeper. I'll wait until I have a couple of casts mastered with these heads and then concern myself with other lines.

Blog Entries

Default Re: after much decision...echo I went

I'm quite late to this thread and don't know if the OP will come back to read but.....Mac has pretty much laid things out for the rod in question. I can't comment much because I have no 2 hand rods that short or light.

Good posting Mac,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

5. Default Re: after much decision...echo I went

Just an update...I bought a 4 wt. Deer Creek 11' switch rod this past spring and going with the recommendation of the local rep, I put a 7wt. (275gr. +/-) Ambush line on it. I loved it out of the box. Haven't tried any tips on it...maybe T-6 (?) if they make it...but it likes polyleaders--even the fast sinking ones.

6. Likes Ard liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12