Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Cast piling up

  1. Default Re: Cast piling up

    Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    To get out to where you want the only answer may be a 12.5 - 14 foot spey rod. Bye the bye I love the casts where there's more going out (energy) than the cast needed and it jerks more line of the reel. A real smile maker!
    Well, I might just need to take my 13 footer out. Its set up with a 600 grain head. Hmmmm, I was thinking about hitting the water on Friday...

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
    Posts
    15,522
    Blog Entries
    113

    Default Re: Cast piling up

    I will refer back a few posts to the reply you got from cb, Colin suggested a long belly / head line may make casting more enjoyable. I realize that many people are first introduced to the short head / running line style of casting, however once you understand the basic mechanics of casting the transition to long belly will be easier.

    There is way too much to discuss when considering the differences between fishing the traditional lines vs. the Skagit type heads to address here. It may be something you would enjoy. For a 13' rod you would be looking at a full floating Spey line with head length in the 55 - 60' range. These will change your casting dramatically I assure you.

    Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

    Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

  3. Likes cb liked this post
  4. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
    Posts
    10,839

    Thumbs up Re: Cast piling up

    Quote Originally Posted by derelict View Post
    Well, I might just need to take my 13 footer out. Its set up with a 600 grain head. Hmmmm, I was thinking about hitting the water on Friday...
    Take that Puppy to WORK! To paraphrase: 'Would you bring a pocket knife to a gun fight?'

    Yaaazer

    Fred
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

  5. Default Re: Cast piling up

    Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    I will refer back a few posts to the reply you got from cb, Colin suggested a long belly / head line may make casting more enjoyable. I realize that many people are first introduced to the short head / running line style of casting, however once you understand the basic mechanics of casting the transition to long belly will be easier.
    I think Ill get ahold of the guy that is recommended here that makes custom lines based on what you have next.

    Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Take that Puppy to WORK! To paraphrase: 'Would you bring a pocket knife to a gun fight?'
    Yeah, I just got the reel all set up last night. Friday is looking like at about 3 or 4 will be low tide. That just happens to be the same time that I get off of work. Should be a good time I hope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 04:01 AM
  2. Tuck Cast, Pile Cast Causing Tangles?
    By randyflycaster in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 03:59 PM
  3. tippet piling up on water
    By Joey W in forum The Fly Cast
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
  4. piling line
    By eaglesfn68 in forum The Fly Cast
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-11-2008, 01:38 PM
  5. Piling up of my line
    By Cleetus in forum The Fly Cast
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 04:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •