Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ok, so I now have a spey rod....

Finally, after a few month's of searching and deliberation I bit the bullet and picked up a used rod to start out with, it's a used Loomis gl3 14' for an 8 or 9 weight line. I've always liked the older Loomis rods with the older technology and have a gl3 in a single handed rod.

So far the aesthetics of the rod look fine, nothing looks damaged or replaced and at this point I'm happy with the purchase. I've ordered a reel for it through Justin, and now I'm looking for suggestions as to what I should line it with.
    I don't think I need the very best line to work with right now as this line will be used to "grass cast" like Ed Ward shows in his great DVD 'Skagit Master', when getting closer to the Fall I'll make the investment in a RIO windcutter with the assorted tips for actual fishing.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to a line that will work for this without putting me in the poor house? Or even better a used Windcutter in 8-9wt that may be on it's last legs but would work for a practice line?

I wanna get to the park......

Default Re: Ok, so I now have a spey rod....

Hi fysh',

I can't help you with the line but just wanted to congratulate you on the new to you Spey Rod. Keep us posted on your progress.

Frank

Blog Entries

You're gonna want to use that rod for everything. Mine is fine with a 12" char or a king salmon. I like the big rods Fysh, You will pick up casting quick enough that I don't think I would bother with a practice line. When you learn go find some empty water and use water. I made my first cast on water and never looked back.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Fysh: I know virtually nothing about spey rods so I can't help, but wanted to say congrats on the purchase, keep us posted on the progress.

Larry

Thanks guys.
    I'm looking at some lines on e-bay right now too, I may just go ahead and buy one. I've been chomping at the bit to go try it out, but everyone that I know around here that fishes two handers had stuff going today.

This rod is a little slower, I can't decide whether to go with a 7/8/9 or a 8/9/10 line?.......

Ard, I think your right, I'm gonna go ahead and buy new. I've got my anniversary trip coming up in a few weeks so I would like to take it along to play with.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

First for line suggestions hit RIO's web site (I'm almost certain Airflo has a comparable one) as Simon G has damned near every 2-hander made noted with his line recommendations.

The main thing (in picking the, or a, correct line) is knowing what 'grain range' the designer had in mind when they developed the blank.

But check out the above and one other excellent resource is the SpeyPages web board. All of the fellows there are 2-hander tackle tarts. Do a WTB post describing your rod and the type of fishing you expect and your 'odds on' that you can purchase a perfectly fine second hand line from one of the fellows. Given you're just starting out you'll find that your first choice in lines will hardly be your last!

Fred

Edit: your log in doesn't tell us where you're located but check around as there are many 'Spey 'Claves all around the northern half of the US. Some VERY big, some small, some almost every weekend. Point being is the fellows are usually very responsive to letting you try out one of their lines on your rod.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Thanks Fred,
    After looking at what RIO` recommends, it appears it will be the 7/8/9 line, possibly trying the next line up the chart later on once I get the initial learning curve handled.
    I had looked at their chart before, but didn't realize they had a chart for older/older rods too.

I'm in northern Utah. Been kinda eyeballin' the speyclave in Boise next month.

Wink Re: Ok, so I now have a spey rod....

If you look closely, you'll see that Simon has me listed under older/older/OLDER nim-rods.

On you choice of 7-8-9 or 8-9-10 what sized flies are you going to be chucking? If large, size 4 hooks and up, you may want to get the higher rating.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

That was you?

Quote Originally Posted by fysh' View Post
    That was you?
    I thought it was very bad news until a lot of folks said "Dead On." That HURT.

But a thought struck that there's a similar thread going here ... ta da! http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...3183-help.html and a few posts into this one of the fellows posted a couple very good links. Very much on topic.

Fred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast