Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Spey

1. Default Re: First Spey

It would surprise me if they don't let you cast it before you buy. Every honest good shop will, no reason to sell you a rod that doesn't work for you.

Default Re: First Spey

I got my wife to stop the order on the Cabela's rod so I can save up for a better rod. I have narrowed it down to the TFO Deer Creek Spey in 13', Orvis Clearwater Spey 13' and redington prospector in 13'. I'll update everyone once I have ordered the rod. Waiting on my fender acoustic and a couple of softball bats to sell.
    John L.

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover

Default Re: First Spey

Quote Originally Posted by baseman1 View Post
    I got my wife to stop the order on the Cabela's rod so I can save up for a better rod. I have narrowed it down to the TFO Deer Creek Spey in 13', Orvis Clearwater Spey 13' and redington prospector in 13'. I'll update everyone once I have ordered the rod. Waiting on my fender acoustic and a couple of softball bats to sell.
    Any update on this? I am a novice at TH and looking for a switch or short spey rod. I had a Cabela's TLr that I was playing with, but the top section broke shortly before the warranty ran out, so I returned it and decided to get something better and with a better warranty. After checking over all the warranties, I decided on either the Orvis Clearwater (11' - #8 or 13' - #7), Echo SR (11' - #7), or the TFO Deer Creek (probably #7). Those three companies seem to be the only ones with a warranty that covers damage as well as defects and offer a rod at the price point that I want. I primarily fish in South Florida, and looking for something I can cast near mangroves with little or no room for backcast. Also, the inlets tend to run like rivers when the tide is moving, so I figure that switch/spey casting from the edges might be fun. I appreciate any input... but please do not tell me about the $400+ plus rods that are better than any of the above, because I am sure that they are, but I am just not interested in spending that much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12