Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The 'Snap-T' Cast

Fysh, that fine gentleman snapping that T, passed away this year.
    Ran the 5 miles back from the take-out.
    Clients found him in his truck, dead from a heart attack.
    We are all here for a short while.
    Make a good cast......

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 11-19-2014 at 01:01 PM.

I just recently heard about his passing, he seemed like a good man who certainly had to ability to teach people. That young, and dies from a heart attack.

When i attempt a Snap-T la Bill Lowe (may he rest in peace), the head of the line lands first followed by the leader, in a sloppy, slack-ridden mess, rather than in a nice and even, uniform lay-down. Obviously this is not ideal for the cast. I'm lifting the rod tip then sweeping around in the D motion, like the video says. Maybe I have to accelerate through the "D" more, and really "snap" it? Maybe I was doing it too gingerly. Anyone else ever have this problem when learning?

Is this happening on your set up? Such as when you actually make the Snap-T move?

Or is this happening on your forward cast?

Tell us more about your line and leader set up?

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    Is this happening on your set up? Such as when you actually make the Snap-T move?

Or is this happening on your forward cast?

Tell us more about your line and leader set up?
    Sorry about that, I realize now that that was vague. This is happening on the set-up. (I think I've rectified my actual cast piling up by following Fred Evans's advice to aim/shoot high on the forward cast and keep the elbows up). My snap-T itself is sort of piling in front of me, rather than landing evenly and uniformly parallel to the ground.

I am using 370 grain Switch Chucker, looped to a 12' Versileader (5.6 ips), with a short 3' leader made of fluorocarbon 20# test mono.

When doing the set up for the Snap T motion it should be a straight line movement with your head/leader following behind. You need to lift most of the head to the surface before starting the set up and going into the Snap T motion.

It sounds to me that you do lack a bit of power, and by saying that I'm not meaning to apply more power, I think not having your head on or above the surface of the water is stealing the needed power for a proper set up.

Try this next time your out. At the end of your cast(dangle down) keep your rod pointed down stream and lift your rod tip 6'-7'+- above the waters surface until most of your head has cleared....as soon as you reach that point with your rod tip staying almost parallel sweep back to your stopping point and make your downward movement known as the Snap T.

Note**Once you get the head moving for the set up do not stop, slow down, or change speed until you make your Snap T movement.**

The downward Snap T movement should not be straight down, but rather have a slight forward motion(downstream) angling down to the surface of the water.

Great, thanks for the advice. I actually haven't tried it on the water yet, only on grass and in the snow. Maybe the lack of friction from not being on the water makes it more difficult. I definitely feel that casting will be easier once on the water as it will provide more resistance to load the rod than grass and snow.

Quote Originally Posted by troutclout11 View Post
    Great, thanks for the advice. I actually haven't tried it on the water yet, only on grass and in the snow. Maybe the lack of friction from not being on the water makes it more difficult. I definitely feel that casting will be easier once on the water as it will provide more resistance to load the rod than grass and snow.
    Uhhh, yea, grass/snow casting is certainly part of the problem. That's good to know.
    Make yourself about a 15' grass leader and it'll help somewhat.
    Last edited by fyshstykr; 06-07-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Things were obviously not going well at all so I decided to take it back to the beginning. I have a few short videos I will add later tonight photo bucket permitting. Here is my version of a rollcast. I had way too heavy of a test fly on it at first but I adjusted and got it to rollout pretty decent. Going to take baby steps so this is 27ft Skagit line+10ft sinking leader and 5ft of mono tippet. This is with the Skagit line out the tip and no more. Photobucket vid doesn't work and I tried a couple different ways. I am emailing the switch cast/single spey? and Snap-T vids to a couple guys for help. Not an emergency. Thanks.
    Last edited by ia_trouter; 06-07-2015 at 08:15 PM.

I heard about his passing about a month ago. His video about opening the body is really great.
    by the way, if you don't like snap T, maybe you can do Poke T like the clown in this video.

I don't always catch fish; but when I do I scream like a little girl.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast