Falkus On Fly Casting

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Great spey casting video, picked up some really good stuff for the long rod.

[ame]http://youtu.be/2zbCj0BpnaA[/ame]

Fkrow

Reaction score
Thank you for posting the link.

A good friend visited Falkus years ago and was with him for some time learning the traditional old methods of casting.

I have his book on Spey Casting this is a nice supplement.

Regards,
FK

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
No problem guys, thank you. I'm still trying to figure out the figure 8 concept on the single Spey, I've already adjusted my cast position high, for the throw and that works much better.

I'm going to float the St. Louis river tomorrow to Duluth area, and will be scandi casting out of a drift boat for giant smallmouth bass, a great summer trip. Large Caddis and muddlers, poppers. I want to get this down, I also will be casting the WindcutterII.

I don't get the beginning of the figure 8, why pull opposite and around, the back side of the figure 8 I get and the high rod position.

I must be missing something, I wish I could see the line better on the far shots.

Fkrow

Reaction score
That casting style is seldom seen in NA.
Only one or two old timers I have met actually perform the figure 8 motions.
Falkus used the older long soft full flex rods popular in his day.

Regards,
FK

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
That casting style is seldom seen in NA.
Only one or two old timers I have met actually perform the figure 8 motions.
Falkus used the older long soft full flex rods popular in his day.

Regards,
FK
Bang On FK, bang on. Rods in his 'day' are quite different than most we see today .... save for Boo's. Boo's really haven't changed much over the decades.

fae

Bigfly

Reaction score
I don't get the beginning of the figure 8, why pull opposite and around, the back side of the figure 8 I get and the high rod position.
Not a master of this cast by any means.....but I did "discover" it one day, when I couldn't anchor my snap T due to obstructions both downstream and up.
In a way it works like the roll up cast in bringing your line under control and nearby, with the tip closer to the surface.........for an easier cast.
A touch and go lurks close by as well.......

Jim