Redington Trout Spey Montana ..Why not ?

eastfly66

Reaction score
I was watching this video this morning, looking at the rivers you guys have out west (envious as all get out) and thinking as they said in the video..why in God's name would you NOT try a trout spey ? These rivers and flows are begging for swinging a streamer !

I can understand if sub surface is not in your game but if you carry a box of tube flies or ones tied on 2X long, you really ought to give it a thought.

We discuss lines and new SH rods to enhance/add to your game? want to really expand your horizons? Redington & Echo make some very reasonably priced trout spey and I see a few on the second hand market too.

Montana , Wyoming ???.....my God , you guys have life by the balls !!

https://vimeo.com/185560307?utm_sou...ampaign=December+15th+-+2016&utm_medium=email

Last edited:

labradorguy

Reaction score
There are a lot of two-hand rods getting sold in Craig, MT these days. That style of casting is really taking off on the MO and other bigger waters.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul

That is a pretty amazing video taken right in the heart of dry fly fishing mecca and not another fly fisherman in sight. I bet next November there will be a bunch of guys out there swinging streamers with Trout Spey rods.

Your not getting any younger, get started planning a trip out here, you know you have a standing invite to fish with me, lets explore some water together.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Paul

That is a pretty amazing video taken right in the heart of dry fly fishing mecca and not another fly fisherman in sight. I bet next November there will be a bunch of guys out there swinging streamers with Trout Spey rods.

Your not getting any younger, get started planning a trip out here, you know you have a standing invite to fish with me, lets explore some water together.
Thanks Larry , and your right , time to get a game plan. I would like to take you up on that !

pab1

Reaction score
Great video!

I'm embarrassed to say that for several years now I've had a TFO 12'6" 6wt Lefty Kreh Professional Series spey rod, Lamson Konic 4 reel, three Rio Spey heads (ST6/7F AFS 400gr 36', 6/7F Powerspey 480gr 58', Skagit Body 400gr 27'), Rio 100' .035" shooting line, three 10ft 24# Rio Spey VersiLeaders (2.6ips, 3.9ips, 5.6ips), 200yds of 30# backing, even a leader wallet that are all still unused and in their packages. I love streamer fishing and thought spey fishing would be great on some of the big rivers in the area. I have several books and DVDs on spey fishing/casting but have yet to take the final step and start learning how its done. The whole "spey thing" seems complicated and confusing after fishing with a one handed rod my entire life. :eek:

Fkrow

Reaction score
Paul,

Thanks for posting that video, it has been many years since I visited MT,,, thinking about another trip with the new Trout Spey rods we have available.

Regads,
FK

eastfly66

Reaction score
The whole "spey thing" seems complicated and confusing after fishing with a one handed rod my entire life.
I was in the same place at the start , mostly with sorting thru the heads, tips and grain windows and almost gave up. The absolute best advice I can give is find some hands on help from an experienced caster/instructor. Videos are great (Rio Modern Spey being the best) but nothing beats hands on the water instruction.

It is not about replacing your SH , it is about adding to it ! I am even going to say this will expand your options and experience , I promise ! There are a few rivers here I fish at high flow, when others are breaking down rods and heading home. I know the argument " I can spey cast with my SH" I've done a ton of experimenting with rods & lines but unless your Simon G. or Paul Arden your not going to do with a SH what can be done with less effort with a 2 hand. I see your in MT Pab , I think you got this one in the bag already ! :).....One more step, you won't regret it !!!!!

---------- Post added at 05:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

Paul,

Thanks for posting that video, it has been many years since I visited MT,,, thinking about another trip with the new Trout Spey rods we have available.

Regads,
FK
Fred , go check your personal email ...........:)

Last edited:

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, pab. I've got an Echo 1194 trout spey and am ashamed to say I didn't even practice cast once this past summer. It does still call to me, usually this time of the year, and I was thinking about it just the other day.

During the fishing season, when I get a chance to get to the river I want to fish! Not aggravate myself with blown anchors and crappy casts. I'm nowhere near fishing with the thing. I need practice, a lot of it. When the temps get back to a reasonable level I am committed to spending a half hour freezing my toes and practice casting every weekend that I can. I really want to fish with that rod in the early summer.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
I'm in the same boat, pab. I've got an Echo 1194 trout spey and am ashamed to say I didn't even practice cast once this past summer. It does still call to me, usually this time of the year, and I was thinking about it just the other day.

During the fishing season, when I get a chance to get to the river I want to fish! Not aggravate myself with blown anchors and crappy casts. I'm nowhere near fishing with the thing. I need practice, a lot of it. When the temps get back to a reasonable level I am committed to spending a half hour freezing my toes and practice casting every weekend that I can. I really want to fish with that rod in the early summer.

WOOOOOOZIE!

Insert 'rude noise!' :rolleyes:

runningfish

Reaction score
Spey Rules!!! on Montana rivers. First rod that goes in the Jeep is a 2/3 2hander and a 5wt one hander. I could screw up and break the first or, if fishing out of a boat, using a 2hander is a 'non-starter.'

fae
Yep, my 2wt 2Handler is always the starter rod for me then a 4wt or a 6wt singles. I think 2hand rods have opened up more possibilities for me. I fish only local stillwater lakes in SoCal from the shore and moving waters when I am in Calgary.

So yeah, don't wait until you find a river, hit the lakes and ponds with your 2Handler too.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Very good point, I've been wondering why you don't read more about guys/gals using 2 handers on lakes.
Save for the 'odd off' never had to try the above, but if you have enough clear air around/behind no reason this shouldn't work with an appropriate length rod. What I fail to see is why anyone would use this type of equipment for 'over head' casting. (Is that the right term?)

fae

pab1

Reaction score

Good to hear I'm not the only one! It sounds like a steep learning curve. I know what you mean about the temps. We're predicted to hit -25F tonight. I'll stick with hunting snowshoe hares and cottontails in this weather and wait to hit the river until it warms up a bit.

eastfly66

Reaction score
Good to hear I'm not the only one! It sounds like a steep learning curve
Yes and no and it doesn't have to be. With a little proper instruction you should have no problem making fishable cast the first day. The snap T and single spey are relatively easy to do and produce results. The gear is not that confusing once sorted out. The tricky and fun part is presenting the fly and getting in the zone. There is a wealth of info here on that under Ard Stetts blogs ( The Artist Formerly Known As Hardy Reels).
Good Luck Guys , I hope you blow the dust off that gear and put it to work, if you enjoy it half as much as I do my Trout Spey you will be hooked ! :)

As they say "Welcome to the Dark Side"

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Good to hear I'm not the only one! It sounds like a steep learning curve. I know what you mean about the temps. We're predicted to hit -25F tonight. I'll stick with hunting snowshoe hares and cottontails in this weather and wait to hit the river until it warms up a bit.
You'll be surprised how fast you are fishing if you go to a reasonable sized stream. I watched some videos over the course of a few days on about three basic casts. An hour in the yard practicing the motions. Then off to the water for some real practice and fishing shortly after. You can even practice on stillwater. It isn't ideal, but anything that water loads the rod is productive when practicing the basic casts like snap-T, single spey, rollcast etc. I even fished for bluegill from 60ft away. It looked silly but it wasn't a half bad way to practice accuracy. It takes a minute to adjust your range with a long rod.