SH Rod Casting to DH Rod Casting

fenix84

Reaction score
Does standard SH overhead casting make you worse at DH spey casting or vice versa?

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Does standard SH overhead casting make you worse at DH spey casting or vice versa?
Not really; both casts have three main parts, what's different is the timing. The lift (to get line out of the water/set the anchor), the formation of the back cast/ or 'D loop,' then into the forward with the rod tip cast, to a firm stop at about 10 o'clock.

Watching a couple of video's will show the above pretty clearly.

fae

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you add some specific detail to this question please? I don't see a distinct relationship between what I would consider standard aerialized casting with a single hand rod and what I do with a Spey rod. Prior to moving to genuine 2 handed rods I did a whole lot of single hand rod Spey style casting. It was very much different than say, dry fly casting and fishing. When making a comparison between the one hand overhead cast and the water anchored Spey casts I'd have a hard time relating one to the other, totally different mechanics involved.

Fred mentioned timing, that is about the only relationship I see, both actions send a line hurling forward but each is executed in a very different manner.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I'll echo Ard on this.
Can't think of the last time I overhand cast with my switch or spey.
And I never false cast with them.
That is the point of going over to the Spey side......
That limiting backcast is no longer an issue.
An overhand doesn't touch the water to cast....and the spey stays on the water until cast....
I recommend letting go... of dry fly habits and get your Spey on!
Have fun finding your stroke.

Jim

fenix84

Reaction score
When spey casting with a DH rod i find I need a slower, longer stroke. I feel this differs from overhead casting with a SH rod because my strokes are much faster and shorter.

It may be due to the styles of rods i own. My SH rods are all considered fast with most of the action in the tip vs my spey rod which loads more in the butt.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to assume we are talking about the Meiser rod please correct me if I'm wrong on that. At 11'6" it should be considerably longer than your one hand rods and this will take a little getting used to. I used an 11'6" seven weight for a while yesterday. I was trading between the 11 - 6 and a 14' rod working different types of water in the same river. Although I wasn't switching between a 9 foot five weight and a 14 foot Spey rod there were noticeable adjustments needed as each change was made.

Even with your shorter 2 hand rod and head you should be able to find a pace for the casts that will be somewhat relaxed in all but the swiftest water conditions. There are a few things seldom mentioned when people make casting videos. For starters there's the fact that we don't all cast nearly straight down stream or at an extremely sharp angle down current. Next comes the fact that unless we stand in the exact same spot in the same current speed every time we fish there will be the need to adapt to many different casting paces perhaps better known as timing changes.

Typically if a person is fishing / casting in an area governed by a gentle current that person will adapt a rhythm that will produce good casts and drift / swings. Unlike overhead casting where we use the air above - in front and behind us to set up our next cast the Spey caster is using the water in front and upstream of themselves to set up that next cast. We all know how strong winds can force changes in the way we would cast with our 9' five weight rod. The Spey caster has not only winds to contend with but the changing current speeds as he / she moves down a river or creek. Those current speeds may be the biggest challenge for many. You must constantly be adjusting the speed and power exerted into the lift and sweep of the line once it has reached the terminal end of the swing. Then once the line has been re-positioned for the cast and you rotate the rod over and behind your shoulder to form the 'D' loop this is where the timing changes radically as the water speeds change. Faster current means stepping up the pace of the cast and slower flows will take you back to a more relaxed pace in your casting. With practice the caster will adapt what may appear to others as a relaxed stroke and cast even while fishing in a 7 mph current.

Another thing that we run into unlike our single hand overhead casting friends is that when we move from one side of a river to the other a lot more changes that just the view. Whether you are fishing river right or left the entire set up changes with your position. That's something that would be better put into a blog post and may benifit from some video support :)

I haven't a clue what I just wrote or whether any of it answered the original question. I don't see any red lines indicating misspelled words so I'll trust that something may make sense and hit the 'Post Quick Reply' button.

fenix84

Reaction score
I understand what you mean about adjusting. I guess i ll just need to adjust when switching rods. Didn't really think too much about the length but you are right its a substantial difference.

cb

Reaction score
This is a lovely question.

I would say the forward cast movement in both is very, very similar except the DH rod plane angle will be more canted to your side. If you already have a 'feel' for rod load, flick, rod-unload and loop formation then you are well ahead on the journey. Some very interesting new aspects to learn before you get to the forward cast through - enjoy!

I would also say that for complete beginners to the double-handed rod - learn the overhead cast first. I never use it in fishing - but in my years of fishing/mentoring I see people quite easily master the D-loop formations - but struggle to end up in a good "key-position" (which is the same in both overhead and Spey) and struggle with the mechanics of the actual forward cast.

Last edited: