Over Here!

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
I thought I'd like to share with you some videos of places I've worked. Not my footage and I wasn't involved in the making of them, but they'll give an idea of what Scotland has to offer (other than too few fish!).

Paul Pritchard has several short fishing videos on YouTube. Here are a few from Tulchan Estate near Grantown-on-Spey in the Scottish Highlands where I've spent the past four seasons:

Tulchan A Beat

A Day in May on the Spey - Tulchan B Beat.

Tulchan C Beat

This one has some footage of Amhuinnsuidhe, a.k.a. North Harris Estate, in the Hebrides - very different from the trimmed grass banks of Tulchan!

And if you've half an hour to fritter, here is Episode 1, Series 3 of 'Turas a Bhradhain', 'The Journey of the Salmon' which features my first estate, Morsgail, towards the end as well as other Lewis waters.

Hope you enjoy them. :)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I would enjoy that kind of work Lewis, no jet boats, no tents, and absolutely beautiful rivers. I'd have to do it as work because I doubt I could afford to fish there otherwise :)

Lewis Chessman

Reaction score
No jet boats, thankfully, but canoeists have a right of access on historically navigable waters and the 'Right to Roam' allows just that and free wild camping in Scotland. On the whole we rub along fine with other sports & hobbies. Most folks who break the rules do it out of ignorance rather than malice when north of the Highland Line (and away from the major cities), thankfully.

Aye, the free fishing is definitely a perk of the job - but you don't automatically get that, it depends on the estate and its policy. I never dreamed I'd get to fish some of the places I have - at its peak Tulchan is over £500 a day for just one rod! But in Spring it's only £36 a day!! Fewer fish and a shorter day but if you do get one it'll be big and fresh - and you get the same huts and the same service as the wealthier guests get in July. :)

Am I tempting you? ;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
We may have to discuss this via PM Lewis, I am accustomed to fishing where there are fewer fish than would be desirable. Even when we have good run numbers here I seek out places where there are fewer or no other anglers. That usually goes hand in hand with fewer fish. Years ago this wasn't the case but todays instant communications don't allow for secrets.............. In other words I fish the water always to have a good day.