Setting the hook

ptarmigan

Reaction score
Here's a great video that OPST just put out. Some good info from guys that have seen a lot of fish caught. Plus there are just a ton of hookups on chrome Kings, and who doesn't like that?:)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I was just on my own pages answering a comment / question that came in yesterday before logging on here Matt. Funny, I was reading through this article about hooking fish that I published last April and thinking of linking it up here. Then I log on and the topic is up, I'll post anyway and risk looking opportunistic; Hooking and Landing Salmon There's no video only text but since the topics up maybe it will be of interest also.

ptarmigan

Reaction score
I've found it's always good to get different perspectives on the same subject from experienced people. There's always something new to learn or improve on. The best part is that when you're practicing, you're fishing! Bring on open water!!

huronfly

Reaction score
I love this vid, seeing those grabs gets my heart pumpin!:D I also find this advice bang on, at least it has worked well for me. It's one of the reasons I use a clicker reel, let that fish pull line off that reel before you even think about moving the rod tip!

dillon

Reaction score
Very good advice in the video. I don't fish for pacific salmon all my time is spent pursing steelhead with a spey rod, primarily with floating line, but sometimes a sink tip. This fall i had an exceptional week swinging hairwings and waking a small deer hair pattern with a floating line. I experienced several different kinds of takes. Sometimes I'd feel the fish take and the reel would turn a few times, but id still feel the weight of the fish. i surmise the fish ate the fly and then went back to its lie or a bit upstream and just sat there. The line had probably bellied below the fish. After waiting several seconds for it to take off, I applied fim but light pressure until it did. Sometimes after feeling the resistance the fish would jump well above where the fly line entered the water.

Some of the guides on my home water will observe their client fishing from a high vantage point. They are able to see the numerous ways a steelhead will take a fly. Many fish will come to the fly but refuse it, and the angler feels or sees nothing. This is where the guides coaching comes into play. Dec Hogan, in his book, "A Passion for Steelhead," describes many of these experiences, fascinating stuff...

duker

Reaction score
Great vid, and some useful suggestions. Patience really is a virtue.

One thing I've had to train myself to do when steelhead fishing is to let the fish take the hook and set the hook itself. I always leave a 2' or so loop of running line hang between my finger and the reel, and let the fish take that before slightly lifting my rod to set the hook as the guide advises in the video. Setting too hard or too quick is a sure way to lose a fish, which I've learned several times the hard way. As Dec Hogan says, I've never lost a steelhead by setting the hook too late, but I've lost lots setting the hook too early.

Scott

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
For me its low and off to the side ,,,, just watch your rod tip! The other thing I do file the hook point just on two sides, Effectively you have a knife blade rather than a round point that just keeps digging further in as the fish pulls against same. Barbless goes without saying; Many sections of our Western Oregon river's don't allow barbed hooks.

Amazing how hard it is to find barbless hooks in a wide range of sizes.