Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tested OPST 50# lazar vs 15# pvc running line, pvc won.

Well there ya go... the OPST sinks... the PVC did not... Especially with such a light head, your findings are not surprising at all...

For a 3wt single hander, the 35 pound mono should have been great, but if you can't hold on to it, just stick with what works...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

As far as the coils go, you have to stretch it before fishing and that will go away...

On another note, when considering the fact you are fishing with such a short rod, shooting more than 40' - 50' of running line is pointless, you cannot possibly fish a fly very effectively further away than that...

Just because you can cast that far, doesn't mean you should...

3. Default Re: Tested OPST 50# lazar vs 15# pvc running line, pvc won.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb View Post
    On another note, when considering the fact you are fishing with such a short rod, shooting more than 40' - 50' of running line is pointless, you cannot possibly fish a fly very effectively further away than that...

Just because you can cast that far, doesn't mean you should...
    That was 40-50' total - from tip of the rod to the streamer. It was only around 20' of running line. I'm trying to make an ultralight setup for fishing small streamers in small streams and ponds. I don't like large rigs, it wears out my hand. I tried a 8'6" 5wt and even that felt a little heavy. I may try it again though.

Got ya, it all makes sense now...

Lack of current really lets that mono running line sink, that coupled with the light head, going to hurt distance as it struggles to pull the mono from the water to shoot... the pvc running line floats, less resistance in this scenario...

Try it again with a stripping basket and see if it differs... or just stick with the light pvc running line...

5. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post
    Likes huronfly liked this post
  6. Default Re: Tested OPST 50# lazar vs 15# pvc running line, pvc won.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb View Post
    Got ya, it all makes sense now...

Lack of current really lets that mono running line sink, that coupled with the light head, going to hurt distance as it struggles to pull the mono from the water to shoot... the pvc running line floats, less resistance in this scenario...

Try it again with a stripping basket and see if it differs... or just stick with the light pvc running line...
    I'm in the mad scientist mode right now, trying all different combinations. I ordered some 30# airflo miracle braid to try this weekend. In addition to the running line I'm trying to get the optimal weight/length shooting head. The lightest OPST head with tip ends up being 17' and 175 grains, but it feels too heavy for my rod. Next I tried an 8wt rio replacement tip at 15' and 109 grains. That felt a little light. Now I'm trying some homemade heads made by cutting off the end of some cheap WF line. I want to try a slightly longer head, maybe 20' 140 grains. From what I've read 15' is at the short end of the recommended range.

I use 30# laser line on my 7WT spey rod 375 grain head, works great. I donít know why you would use 50# on a 3 weight?

The thing about the memory is I use a 4Ē reel and I stretch the mono every time. Then itís fine.

Iíd use 20# on a 3WT.

8. Default Re: Tested OPST 50# lazar vs 15# pvc running line, pvc won.

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    I use 30# laser line on my 7WT spey rod 375 grain head, works great. I don’t know why you would use 50# on a 3 weight?

The thing about the memory is I use a 4” reel and I stretch the mono every time. Then it’s fine.

I’d use 20# on a 3WT.
    I tried the #35 and I agree you stretch it out and it's pretty limp but it just seems very thin and hard to grip. That was why I tried the #50.

9. Default Re: Tested OPST 50# lazar vs 15# pvc running line, pvc won.

Quote Originally Posted by huronfly View Post
    That is interesting... I've never heard anyone say they've shot line further with coated line vs mono.

Oh and miracle braid is awesome too!
    Just tried the miracle braid and it beat the pvc by a couple feet. I think I finally got a decent setup with the miracle braid and a 15' 135 grain head made from cheap 10wt wf line.

Miracle braid is great in the summer, but once temps drop around freezing the water the line sheds will ice up your guides faster than anything I've ever seen. I recently ordered the OPST Lazer 50lb to compare it to Varivas Airs 47lb, but right now I am highly impressed with the Varivas. Shoots great, floats, and is a nice thickness to get a good grip on even with near frozen hands.

11. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post
  12. Default Re: Tested OPST 50# lazar vs 15# pvc running line, pvc won.

Quote Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
    Miracle braid is great in the summer, but once temps drop around freezing the water the line sheds will ice up your guides faster than anything I've ever seen. I recently ordered the OPST Lazer 50lb to compare it to Varivas Airs 47lb, but right now I am highly impressed with the Varivas. Shoots great, floats, and is a nice thickness to get a good grip on even with near frozen hands.
    Not to worried about ice here in north Alabama!

I heard good things about the Varivas but then I heard it was fragile and prone to kinks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12