Tested OPST 50# lazar vs 15# pvc running line, pvc won.

madison320

Reaction score
This may not have been the most accurate test but in my test the 15# pvc running line actually cast 20% farther than the mono lazar line.

Here's the test:

7'6" 3wt orvis super fine carbon rod (slow action for carbon).

Rio 15' 8wt replacement tip (109 grains - basically 12' level line with a 3' tapered tip)

OPST lazar #50 (.022") running line

Cheap 15# pvc running line, about .025"

7' tapered mono leader with small (.5 gram) streamer

To make the test I was overhead casting. I just tried to figure out the longest average cast I could make that would shoot all of the slack line. Then I measured it. I was able to cast 40' with the OPST and 50' with the pvc.

I'm sure the lighter lazar line would cast farther but it's difficult to work with, at least for me. I had the 35# lazar line and I thought it was too thin. Before the test I figured that the mono line would cast farther but it might still be worth using the pvc line since it's so much easier to handle. I was very surprised that the pvc line casts farther.

I just ordered some 30# airflow miracle braid, I like the pvc but maybe the airflow is even better.

huronfly

Reaction score
That is interesting... I've never heard anyone say they've shot line further with coated line vs mono.

Oh and miracle braid is awesome too!

madison320

Reaction score
That is interesting... I've never heard anyone say they've shot line further with coated line vs mono.

It seems weird. Maybe most people test similar # test not similar diameters. I was testing the heaviest mono vs the lightest pvc. Maybe my test was flawed, it was pretty windy, although I thought it seemed accurate. Also I was using a very lightweight shooting head and shooting a very short distance.

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
Were you casting in water or on land? Wading so your running line was in the water before you cast?

I have found 40 pound OPST to be my favorite, 50 is some pretty thick stuff and less than 40 is some pretty thin stuff... It would be completely illogical to use 50 pound on a 3wt as well. In fact, when weighed by the foot, that 50 pound may actually be heavier than the pvc running line you were using...

itchmesir

Reaction score
I found little to no difference between Berkley Big Game and OPST Lazar running line. Horrible memory.

el jefe

Reaction score
Were you casting in water or on land? Wading so your running line was in the water before you cast?

I have found 40 pound OPST to be my favorite, 50 is some pretty thick stuff and less than 40 is some pretty thin stuff... It would be completely illogical to use 50 pound on a 3wt as well. In fact, when weighed by the foot, that 50 pound may actually be heavier than the pvc running line you were using...
Did you find any differences in memory with the different pound-tests of OPST Lazar?

huronfly

Reaction score
Try the orange stren catfish mono in 40#. A quick stretch of the line before you use it and it works really good, little to no memory, and for a fraction the cost of OPST.

kwb

Reaction score
Like any mono running line, you need to stretch it prior to use, especially in the cold, but OPST definitely stays memory free longer than any other mono and the silicon coating definitely helps keep guides ice free in sub freezing temps...

I would say the 50 may be more coily than the 40 straight off the spool if it has sat on a reel for a while, but once stretched, you shouldn't have to stretch it again all day...

I use 50 on my full sink lines, it's easier to grip and thus pull say a full sinking skagit head, T-14 and a heavy fly from the dangle than 40 pound would be, but everything else I use 40 pound...

If you are fishing in warmer weather, you might as well just use Berkley Big Game or Stren Catfish "lot of guys like the Catfish better", but in the cold OPST is definitely the best stuff there is out there in regards to mono...

madison320

Reaction score

I was in the water. I thought about getting the 40#, My first try was with the 35#, then the 50#. The 35# was pretty coil free compared the to #50 but it was seemed a little thin to grip.

Has anyone out there tried the really thin pvc lines? I also tried the ambush short integrated line and I noticed that the running line is almost twice as thick as the cheap pvc line I've been using. Probably .038" vs .026". That's probably more than twice as heavy.

kwb

Reaction score
Well there ya go... the OPST sinks... the PVC did not... Especially with such a light head, your findings are not surprising at all...

For a 3wt single hander, the 35 pound mono should have been great, but if you can't hold on to it, just stick with what works...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

As far as the coils go, you have to stretch it before fishing and that will go away...

kwb

Reaction score
On another note, when considering the fact you are fishing with such a short rod, shooting more than 40' - 50' of running line is pointless, you cannot possibly fish a fly very effectively further away than that...

Just because you can cast that far, doesn't mean you should...

madison320

Reaction score
On another note, when considering the fact you are fishing with such a short rod, shooting more than 40' - 50' of running line is pointless, you cannot possibly fish a fly very effectively further away than that...

Just because you can cast that far, doesn't mean you should...
That was 40-50' total - from tip of the rod to the streamer. It was only around 20' of running line. I'm trying to make an ultralight setup for fishing small streamers in small streams and ponds. I don't like large rigs, it wears out my hand. I tried a 8'6" 5wt and even that felt a little heavy. I may try it again though.

kwb

Reaction score
Got ya, it all makes sense now...

Lack of current really lets that mono running line sink, that coupled with the light head, going to hurt distance as it struggles to pull the mono from the water to shoot... the pvc running line floats, less resistance in this scenario...

Try it again with a stripping basket and see if it differs... or just stick with the light pvc running line...

madison320

Reaction score
Got ya, it all makes sense now...

Lack of current really lets that mono running line sink, that coupled with the light head, going to hurt distance as it struggles to pull the mono from the water to shoot... the pvc running line floats, less resistance in this scenario...

Try it again with a stripping basket and see if it differs... or just stick with the light pvc running line...
I'm in the mad scientist mode right now, trying all different combinations. I ordered some 30# airflo miracle braid to try this weekend. In addition to the running line I'm trying to get the optimal weight/length shooting head. The lightest OPST head with tip ends up being 17' and 175 grains, but it feels too heavy for my rod. Next I tried an 8wt rio replacement tip at 15' and 109 grains. That felt a little light. Now I'm trying some homemade heads made by cutting off the end of some cheap WF line. I want to try a slightly longer head, maybe 20' 140 grains. From what I've read 15' is at the short end of the recommended range.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I use 30# laser line on my 7WT spey rod 375 grain head, works great. I don’t know why you would use 50# on a 3 weight?

The thing about the memory is I use a 4” reel and I stretch the mono every time. Then it’s fine.

I’d use 20# on a 3WT.

madison320

Reaction score
I use 30# laser line on my 7WT spey rod 375 grain head, works great. I don’t know why you would use 50# on a 3 weight?

The thing about the memory is I use a 4” reel and I stretch the mono every time. Then it’s fine.

I’d use 20# on a 3WT.
I tried the #35 and I agree you stretch it out and it's pretty limp but it just seems very thin and hard to grip. That was why I tried the #50.

madison320

Reaction score

Just tried the miracle braid and it beat the pvc by a couple feet. I think I finally got a decent setup with the miracle braid and a 15' 135 grain head made from cheap 10wt wf line.

fireroad

Reaction score
Miracle braid is great in the summer, but once temps drop around freezing the water the line sheds will ice up your guides faster than anything I've ever seen. I recently ordered the OPST Lazer 50lb to compare it to Varivas Airs 47lb, but right now I am highly impressed with the Varivas. Shoots great, floats, and is a nice thickness to get a good grip on even with near frozen hands.

madison320

Reaction score
Miracle braid is great in the summer, but once temps drop around freezing the water the line sheds will ice up your guides faster than anything I've ever seen. I recently ordered the OPST Lazer 50lb to compare it to Varivas Airs 47lb, but right now I am highly impressed with the Varivas. Shoots great, floats, and is a nice thickness to get a good grip on even with near frozen hands.
Not to worried about ice here in north Alabama!

I heard good things about the Varivas but then I heard it was fragile and prone to kinks.