Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Blog Entries

Default Looking into OPST line for LMB and Redfish

In general, I like short head, 30-33, for overhead and sidearm casting to fish like redfish and largemouth bass. These lines like SA Titan Taper let me cast flies under branches and into the wind. Then I saw something about using OPST commando head for single hand rods. The twice as short, but roughly the same weight as my Titan head might be even better for handling the wind and/or big bulky flies. Is this reasoning sound?

I have zero experience with Spey casting and Spey or any other rods but my regular rods. Im not into getting a long two hand rod but am exploring getting a OPST commando head paired with a running line to try out on the lake and in the marsh. I like the idea of no false casting and this is what makes me want to try the Skagit style of cast.

One question is if I get a OPST can I just pair it with the running line of an old fly line I might have laying about? Second question is do I need some sort of special leader or can I use what I normally make out of different diameters of fluorocarbon? Im really interested in a floating line set up at this point. I see there are different combinations of float and sink tips. Do those get added to the commando head or do they replace the commando head? Finally, I see there are fully integrated Spey lines. Are those more what I might need or do the OPST series tend to work better?

My idea for rods to use is for these are my two G.Loomis Short Stix. I have the 7/8 and 8/9. Id like the set up to throw the wind resistant bass bugs or saltwater patterns. I have fiberglass 7/8 CGRs too. All these rods are 76. I have some 9 rods in that weight range, but prefer fishing the short ones.

Default Re: Looking into OPST line for LMB and Redfish

I don't have the OPST system (yet), so cannot address much of your post above, but about the Commando head and tips. The tips do not replace the Commando head. The system goes running line, Commando head, then tip, then leader of your choice. The neat thing about that system is the flexibility and versatility you have with changes in head, tip, and leader.

3. Likes karstopo liked this post

I am liking the OPST system and for what I do it provides a lot of bang for the buck. This means I can be out with my SH 905 and if conditions change or I just want to cast bulky streamers all I do is swap a reel out. Tight quarters is also where it shines but for what your doing out of a yak I'm not so sure it puts more on the table than what your OBS doesn't already provide..........keep in mind now , all I know about Texas and Redfish is what you told me.

I have spent a lot of time in Western Coastal Louisiana, I personally don't think these would be the ideal line for that type of stuff if where you are is similar. I know the bulk of the casts are super short, but I would hate not having an integrated running line and the head would turn to mush in the heat...

Have you tried the actual SA Redfish taper? It's shorter than the Titan...

Also, you can spey cast any single hand line, you don't need a skagit head for that...

6. Likes karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kwb View Post
    I have spent a lot of time in Western Coastal Louisiana, I personally don't think these would be the ideal line for that type of stuff if where you are is similar. I know the bulk of the casts are super short, but I would hate not having an integrated running line and the head would turn to mush in the heat...

Have you tried the actual SA Redfish taper? It's shorter than the Titan...

Also, you can spey cast any single hand line, you don't need a skagit head for that...
    Good information. I’ll probably stick with what I know since it is not broken, I’m just exploring some alternatives ideas. The SA Titan Taper is a line I really like both out in the marsh and on the lake. I have it in 6, 8, and 9 weight. I have one other SA line and that’s a 5 weight bonefish taper. I haven’t tried the SA redfish.

The OPST heads work best with thin running line -- their Lazar line is the best I have tried. The old bulkier running lines will inhibit the energy transfer in the cast and add drag with costs in your distance reach.

They are made to be used with added tips -- either 5 or 10 feet -- that are floating or various sinking tips of different weights. Leaders then get attached to those tips.

Short rods are adaptable to short shooting heads. There are videos from OPST on Youtube of long effortless casts with 7 footers. But watch the caster's hands for insights on how he develops the line speed he does.

This system is used for steelhead and salmon so it should handle any bass that comes along and most redfish.

I have not seen any OPST lines being used to cast large puffballs of deer hair so the question remains open. (Hell, I can't do it well with my standard 7 wt either.)

ddb

9. Likes karstopo liked this post