Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How does head length affect casting?

Quote Originally Posted by madison320 View Post
    I'm trying to make my own Skagit head for a small ultralight rod (7'6" 3wt). I've tried the OPST 150 grain commando head but it feels too heavy. With the 25 grain floating tip it comes to 175 grains and 17'. I'm using the forward ends of cheap WF lines to make the heads. The trick for me is to get the best weight/length combination. The weight is pretty easy, I can tell when it feels about right. I'm not sure about the ideal length, however.

Suppose you had a given head weight, 150 grains for example. What would be the differences between a 15' 150 grain head and a 25' 150 grain head?
    Your ability to manage it with the 7-6 ft rod is my first thought. Add a leader and tippet to 25ft of skagit and that sounds like a guaranteed train wreck on a small creek single-hand short rod. A 25ft head is almost not even a skagit head in reality.

Already mentioned, but Ed Wards vids demonstrate what this tactic will and won't do. I suspect you've already seen them. The heads are very compact for a reason.

If this post came off as "negative", it was not my intent. It's actually a tactic I would like to try on the "correct" water if I could find a rig to borrow.

2. Thanks madison320 thanked for this post

Default Re: How does head length affect casting?

Quote Originally Posted by madison320 View Post
    You're right. I did a lot of testing last weekend and I'm starting to zero in on a 15' line that weighs 130 grains, made from that cheap 10wt wf. One thing I noticed with the longer lengths and lighter lines is that it's harder to roll cast your line when you're repositioning for another cast. You know how sometimes you need to just flop the line out straight to get it ready? It's super easy with the heavier, shorter line. It requires some effort with the longer, lighter lines to avoid having it land in a pile.

One advantage of this setup on a short rod is that you don't even need to Skagit cast. I can overhand cast most of the time because you don't need much room with such a short head.
    Good topic. Thanks for starting it. One thing I've noticed with the shorter rods and "skagit" style casting is that water surface to rod tip distance has more of an impacat. With my 13' rod, wading waist deep, standing on shore or in a boat doesn't impact the casting cycle a lot. However, with a short rod, I can tell a difference when standing on shore versus deep wading. That pushes me towards the shorter length heads. It is a individual thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12