Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  32
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Ugly Cast;

Default Re: The Ugly Cast;

Wow, this is a cool new feature. I've got a notification that i've been quoted in my inbox.

anyway, what I meant was for a beginner like me and iatrouter to first master or to be comfortable with 1 casting technique of each sides of the river first instead of trying to master a complete bag of tricks.

For me, when I am fishing river right I'll do the Snap T and when the wind is blowing from up river, I'll switch to double spey so my anchor is downstream and I won't smack my head silly. When I am fishing river left, I'll do double spey and snap T with my anchor up river when the wind is blowing to my face. When I am on the lake, I'll do Perry Poke. I don't know how to do many different casts and but the ones that I know how help me to catch fish.

DW, your are not the only one. I've stopped looking around to make sure nobody was watching me when I made pathetic casts.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

2. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

I agree Hans. I got along just fine with a good snap-T and an OK single and double spey. Recovering when I somehow got a slack line upstream and about to go behind me was the biggest challenge early on because you don't have all day to think about it. Wrong move and you may be wearing a streamer earring.

I clearly remember taking my daughter to AK and the brief lesson Ard gave her. Literally about 20 minutes and she was fishing. About the first thing he taught her was a series of fairly rapid short sweeps of the line in front of you to get in better position for a safe cast. So simple and doubt it even has a name. But it avoids the panic that would otherwise be occurring in five seconds. Then into a simple single spey. I was also a complete rookie but had practiced the snap-T for hours off y-tube. Both of us fishing just fine in different ways but I knew I was going to hear about it eventually. Ard had tried to get me to spey fish two years earlier because it is appropriate for the water. In my defense he had a 15ft Hardy in the boat that first trip. Very intimidating for a guy who had fly fished only ten times with an Iowa 7-6 creek rod. I think Ard realized the need for introductory options for his clients and quickly adjusted. In any event it was a good decision to add a switch rod option. When I show somebody how to spey cast I always give them a switch so they can get comfortable with a rod not so intimidating. Spey rod is better but a switch is better day one.

Anyway I am happy as a clam with a 13' spey rod and mediocre skills. It takes special water to truly need anything much larger IMO. Water most of us will rarely if ever see.

4. Likes Ard, runningfish liked this post

Yeah, switch rods are less intimidating for beginners, I know that most Spey Guru would recommend a spey rod to start with. However, I honestly I won't be able to enjoy double hand like today had I picked a 13ft spey as my first double hand rod.
    by the way, tomorrow I am going to teach someone to fly fish; my first time ever. wish me luck.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

Quote Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
    Yeah, switch rods are less intimidating for beginners, I know that most Spey Guru would recommend a spey rod to start with. However, I honestly I won't be able to enjoy double hand like today had I picked a 13ft spey as my first double hand rod.
    by the way, tomorrow I am going to teach someone to fly fish; my first time ever. wish me luck.
    Good for you Hans. I find it very rewarding. I've had the opportunity about three times. Only one fail so far. I assisted the St Croix instructor with a large class this spring and learned a lot about teaching basic casting. I've found teaching casting and fishing at the same time to be a less than the optimum plan on day one. Mostly because a standard overhead cast isn't going to work on most of my trout water.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123