Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9

Default Kengis Bruk Torne River Sweden

I’m going to repost my Facebook report from Stockholm Sweden recovering from Arctic Salmon Spey Fishing Exhaustion. Pictures to follow per Ard’s request.

To say I had a great time fly fishing for salmon at Kengis Bruk would be a serious understatement. I did get a take on the second night fishing with Lars and Hendrik in zone three and lost a small greyling both on the pictured fly Lars gave me. I got a pull and spun the reel, with the exhaustion and the rush of adrenaline I almost passed out. I wish I had a picture of a large salmon but it will have to be another day. I did get to see many salmon on their way another 100 miles north to the spawning grounds, big bright chrome fish 56” long or larger swam by or caught 6 feet or air on their way by as if waving sometimes recognizing me and my existence on the river.

I did manage to witness one angler in a wooden boat fishing the head of zone 1 hook a very large salmon it looked 5 feet long and 40 pounds it ran and jumped with a speed I have never seen catching 8 to 10 feet of air with every leap. The salmon jumped at least 8 times and I was cheering him on but on the last spectacular jump the line went slack all was silent. I felt for him.

Spey casting and swinging flies is a hard difficult practice it is difficult just to get a take and then landing some of the hardest fighting fish in the world, I mention this because Lars, Hendrik, Jonas and I were there meeting the salmon and the environment on its terms, not ours, fighting the sun, the treacherous current, and lethargy we would wade and cast our long rods until exhaustion. We would go have fika and fish again until the sun and complete exhaustion took its toll, stumbling back to the lodge together.

In steelhead and salmon fishing all we can do is show up well, the fish demand excellence and I only wish to meet them on this level, fighting the current like the fish with a spey rod in hand.

I wish my Danish friends luck and I appreciate the generosity and brotherhood they shown me, they are hardcore fisherman and have taught me so much about salmon fishing. I will take what they taught me in all my travels, I hope we meet the fish together again someday.

I’ll end this long writing with saying it is enough for me knowing the salmon are there, forever may they run. - Steve Bauer

My pictures are turning up sideways. Not sure how to fix that.

The Midnight Sun
    Last edited by unknownflyman; 08-29-2018 at 05:47 PM.

2. Thanks Ard thanked for this post
    Likes smarty140, karstopo, mcnerney, J.James liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Kengis Bruk Torne River Sweden

Hi Steve,

I have no problem with a trip report wherein the poster didn't get to experience the moment of glory, that's part of the game I think. We could say that the moment of glory came when you made that first cast.............. I've seen people experience both ends of the spectrum here and can tell you there are more folks in the 0 to 1 bracket than double digits when it comes to catching fish on flies. The next time you have the chance to go over there you'll have some basis for preparation and that's one of the best things we can bring home from a long distance salmon trip

I only read about places like you were able to fish and I often wonder if those big guys would be intrigued by an AK. Assassin on a tube? Tied sparse of course

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

4. Likes unknownflyman, mcnerney liked this post

Thanks Ard,

I’ll try to upload some straight pictures, the fourm pic upload is dealing me a new problem.

Conditions in Sweden were about the worst ever recorded when I fished there, low water, bright days near 90 degrees, crystal clear river, midnight sun. I saw today s report from Kengis Bruk and last week three guys landed 32 salmon but that’s fishing. Nothing as large as I saw swimming up the river as the largest salmon run first but all nice fish, their all special to me.

I did fish a large sparse colorful intruder but they weren’t fooled the water temperature was very warm, they were shutting down rivers in Norway and all the fishing reports across Scandinavia were bleak.

I’ll keep adding pics to my first post as time permits.

6. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Things have been tough here too buddy, low numbers, high waters contributing to a very difficult time bringing fish to a fly. I've been doing OK considering the low level of effort expended on my part but one must fish really well to get action here at this time. Fortunately there's a small market in people who want to learn casting and fishing techniques and it is those people who are getting me out on the rivers. It makes for easier days when expectations are lowered and if by chance someone just learning gets a fish on then it's a home run

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

8. Likes unknownflyman, mcnerney liked this post