The Streamer Techniques Video

cb

Reaction score
Great video Ard and superb advice. I shall be trying this type of rig on your Atlantic salmon cousins here in the UK soon.

Cheers

Colin

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Happy to hear from both of you guys :)

What you saw there is actually how I've been doing this since I began experimenting with braided lead heads back in 1994. Back then it was streamers for brown trout and steelhead up in the Great Lakes rivers & creeks. It took some time before I transitioned the technique to use with the 2 hand rod because I was like everyone else, you buy what everyone else buys and what the market dictates.

The day that the welded loop was cut through on my Spey line almost ten years ago now, that was the day I began to rethink the entire 2 hand game. Why could I not fish the same way I had since adopting this system in 1994? Why did I have to struggle with those 15 foot type 6 sink tips (T-14)?

I made my first rig for the 2 hand rod while sitting on a camp chair near the shore beside this tent on the same day the welded loop broke.

I used what I had: 25 pound mono for the butt - Beartooth Montana Braided Lead Heads 36" size and tippet of 15 pound. It worked but I could see that turning a big salmon fly needed a bit more butt than my old 5 weight trout riggings so...………

I began using the T and Z sink tip materials to please clients when I started the fish guide business because they were unfamiliar with the Braided Lead Heads and looked at them as if they were live snakes. I also beefed up the butt sections to 50 & 60 pound mono for long range turn overs. Those couple casts at the beginning of the video show the fly flipping at the end of the casts. The video itself was done so I could send it to people who were coming here to fish. I thought of it as a prep course for them so they were better prepared to find success fishing both here and at home.

Of course by making a video myself and not using actors I risk letting everyone see what sort of a Goober I really am :D

I've cleaned up my act now; shaved the mustache after 42 years and keep a clean shave now. We will be making the sequel this spring featuring single hand rigs and casting because there has been interest expressed in this.

Ard

castoff

Reaction score
Ard, I will not shave off mine but am certainly looking forward to your next video....Thank you for ALL your help so far..

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I'm looking forward to making it for sure! It's about time :)

Thanks buddy and by the way, is that Gray Poupon your beard

busbus

Reaction score
I just watched this twice in a row, Ard. There is so much good advice in here that one needs to watch it twice...then twice more.

Thanks for posting this. I can't wait for the next video.

ray

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Ray,

I actually believe what I spend half an hour trying to explain there :) The whole idea was to help people try to think to see what is really happening when they are fishing with streamer flies.
I'm glad you found it helpful :)

Car7x

Reaction score
Hey Ard - great video! How do I get a half dozen of those dual loop braided connectors? thanks!

Craig

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Craig,

I actually do them a dozen at a time because the postage is the same regardless. I can do a half order but the postage alone will be $3.09

I used to just put them in an envelope with a folded piece of paper and mail them for a .52 stamp. Then some failed to arrive...…. So I went to a larger envelope with Tracking so the persons who buy them have actual evidence that their orders were in fact made and mailed. Over the past couple years I've mailed hundreds of dozens of them all over the world. There are a lot of salmon fishers from the UK to Iceland using them :)

I'll send you a PM soon...…...

Car7x

Reaction score
Hi Ard - got your loops, they look great and the whole process was so easy due to your help and smooth communications. Thanks, again, and happy spring!

Craig

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Kev,

I've been promising another video for a few years or should I say threatening ;)

You may not be surprised if I said that I have been honing a new streamer technique for steelhead and trout for the past 2 seasons. The results have been measurable in the fish count. I figure that this will be the third year of fishing in this new manner and time to make a program which demonstrates what I'm doing different.

I tried the Go Pro method to capture the technique and the results were not stellar so this year I plan to use a drone. This will make perfect sense to some when you see it and is effective for trout fishing as well. Kinda like waiting for the new Bond movie I guess...............