Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Single hand line recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by The op View Post
    Skagit is what you want for big streamers and limited backcast space,,snap t,perrypoke.Opst is good,intergated is less hassle than mono running line.
    thank you! I've been seeing the OPST Commando smooth a lot. Any recommendations on grain weight for a medium fast action Douglas DXF 6wt?

Quote Originally Posted by Bgregist View Post
    thank you! I've been seeing the OPST Commando smooth a lot. Any recommendations on grain weight for a medium fast action Douglas DXF 6wt?

Your welcome.

Although ive used the sustained anchor skagit methods on 2,3,4,5 weight singlehand,and a 3 weight switch,,with no hesitation on your 6 weight,id say get the 225 grain and attatch one of their 5ft micro skagit sink tips(get a 7.5ft aswell)with 3 to feet of your favorite fluorocarbon leader (trouthunter is good),non slip loop knotted to your streamer.

This setup will throw your size 4 and bigger,no problems.

Practice only standing in water.

If your having trouble 'blowing your anchor'(this will happen when going from deep wading to shallow),,slow down,,still happening? put on the 7.5ft tip.
    Last edited by The op; 08-05-2019 at 10:34 PM.

3. Likes Bgregist liked this post

Once you wear this line out you should be proficient in casting and line management.

Then,if you are looking for absolute peak performance from your skagit,you will probably graduate to mono running line,,and depending on your experiences with the 225,and your preferences,you might even go to 200 or a 250.I myself went to the lighter side.

There are much more experienced spey casters on here,,but thats my 2 cents.

Have fun

5. Likes Bgregist liked this post

Fantastic advice thanks again. One thing is for sure. Shooting heads and line look a lot cooler on a reel...not that helps you catch more fish! I will check out the OPST commando smooth in a 225--need to get a new spool for the Lamson Liquid. At least those are cheap!! Will probably grab a floating micro tip from them as well. Just in case.

No problem.

The more tips you have,the more versitile you can be.

8. Likes Bgregist liked this post

Definitely get a floating tip, and an intermediate isn't bad to have either (it's my fave). OPST smooth is a great line, and I think the recommended 225 should work great. I've used my smooth for trout and bass, and this weekend I'll be chucking it in the salt, it's very versatile.
    One casting tip: try casting with one hand. In other words, don't hold the line in your free hand, pinch it against the cork with your casting hand and let it go when it's time to shoot line. It seems weird at first, but it's how you do it with a 2 hander and it helps things work better with a single hander too.

10. Likes Bgregist liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    Definitely get a floating tip, and an intermediate isn't bad to have either (it's my fave). OPST smooth is a great line, and I think the recommended 225 should work great. I've used my smooth for trout and bass, and this weekend I'll be chucking it in the salt, it's very versatile.
    One casting tip: try casting with one hand. In other words, don't hold the line in your free hand, pinch it against the cork with your casting hand and let it go when it's time to shoot line. It seems weird at first, but it's how you do it with a 2 hander and it helps things work better with a single hander too.
    Glad to hear the line responds well in warm water applications. Was curious about that. My SA MPX is only rated to 78 degrees...and I'm sure its fishable past that but uncertain what it might do to the coating/slickness etc.

The smooth certainly is fine in warm water and weather. The running line is a bit stiff and I like it better in warm temps, although I still have to stretch it before I use it to get the coils out anyway.

13. Likes Bgregist liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12