Single hand line recommendations

Bgregist

Reaction score
Currently using 690-4 Douglas DXF single hand for trout/smallies with MPX line. Very interested in beginning spey casting with streamers and getting a dedicated line on my spare spool. Looking for recommendations for a typical 6wt grain weight for stripping streamers...OPST, Airflo, RIO? For a beginner should I be looking at an integrated line? What sort of tips should I be using? Thanks!!

cube

Reaction score
Just want to clarify, are you wanting to "single hand spey cast" with your DXF? If so, you can look at integrated lines like SA SBT (short belly taper), Wulff Ambush, I'd say both those lines will make single spey casts easier. (there are other lines of course, but these are the only ones ive fished.)
Ive fished both of these lines with other single hand rods and i like using Rio polyleaders in various sink rates. Generally, the 9ft length is good for my casting ability.
Other advice is to keep things simple and just practice a couple casts, snap-t and double spey are great starting point IMO.

check this vid too!
Learn the single-hand spey cast | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc.
learning how to S-H Spey is really fun!

cheers and good luck!

Bgregist

Reaction score
Just want to clarify, are you wanting to "single hand spey cast" with your DXF? If so, you can look at integrated lines like SA SBT (short belly taper), Wulff Ambush, I'd say both those lines will make single spey casts easier. (there are other lines of course, but these are the only ones ive fished.)
Ive fished both of these lines with other single hand rods and i like using Rio polyleaders in various sink rates. Generally, the 9ft length is good for my casting ability.
Other advice is to keep things simple and just practice a couple casts, snap-t and double spey are great starting point IMO.

check this vid too!
Learn the single-hand spey cast | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc.
learning how to S-H Spey is really fun!

cheers and good luck!
That's correct, I would be using my Douglas DXF 6wt for single hand spey. Doesn't Airflo make the Poly Leaders and Rio make Versileaders? These appear to be the same idea. What grain would you recommend for a 6wt using SA SBT or Ambush?

cube

Reaction score
That's correct, I would be using my Douglas DXF 6wt for single hand spey. Doesn't Airflo make the Poly Leaders and Rio make Versileaders? These appear to be the same idea. What grain would you recommend for a 6wt using SA SBT or Ambush?
Oops! you are right! I meant Airflo Polyleaders. Ive never used Rio versileaders. I have 6wt 235gr Ambush TT which shoots line as far or further than I really need to fish. The SBT is 185gr line, with a taper that is less aggressive than the Ambush. I imagine the grain window for the DXF is between 185-235gr. depending on the type of taper you decide on. Also has more than enough mass to turn over 10' polyleaders. If you are fishing streamers for bass an trout, I bet you can get away with 5' or 8' leaders. It really depends on how deep in the water column you want your fly to be.

In theory, the more grain weight in you line the heavier the sink tip/fly you can turn over. Sink tips can run from 17gr - 88gr. Of course there is tons a variables to consider. Basically, id say if you plan to fish smaller flies in shallower water go with SBT, but if you wanna toss weighted rabbit strips and heavier sink tips, the Ambush will be better for you.

... hope this isnt too confusing.

This link has a pretty comprehensive guide to lines and grain
weights.SPEY LINES

flav

Reaction score
I definitely recommend an integrated line for stripping streamers. I've used the OPST commando smooth and wulff ambush, but not the ambush short, which seems similar to the commando. The shorter the head, the more grains per foot, and the heavier the payload it can cast.
Any of them will work pretty well, but if you want to toss heavy stuff go with the shorter heads. I think the 18' ambush is easier to cast, but that's me because I prefer a slightly faster stroke than most skagits work best with.
For tips with a 6 weight I think poly or versileaders are the best option. I've used both, and like the steelhead weight ones, they're a bit heavier, but their core is stronger.

thirdcoaststeelheader

Reaction score
OPST is what I usually go for on single-hand rods. Can't go wrong with it. Have tried some of the micro Skagit heads from the other manufacturers, and they work well too. Airflo Skagit Scout is probably my preferred head after OPST. I have a spool dedicated to single hand Skagit with a 225 grain OPST head for my 690.

The integrated version is good, but I use an Airflo Ridgeline for running line. This is a better set up if one ever wants to switch heads. It might cut down on distance if compared to mono, but I can cast as far as I need to with this set-up, so that is not a problem for me. The loop-to-loop between the head and Ridgeline is smooth enough. The integrated head would obviously have zero issues with getting hung up in the guides.

The versi or poly leaders are basically two companies offering of something similar. Rio sells straight "t" matirial too, which can be welded to a desired length. Which one might use would depend on the specifics of how one is fishing.

One thing I like about Skagit heads, is that one can fish on the surface, intermidiate, or deep by only changing the tip. As well, sustained anchor casting is really fun.

Bgregist

Reaction score
Oops! you are right! I meant Airflo Polyleaders. Ive never used Rio versileaders. I have 6wt 235gr Ambush TT which shoots line as far or further than I really need to fish. The SBT is 185gr line, with a taper that is less aggressive than the Ambush. I imagine the grain window for the DXF is between 185-235gr. depending on the type of taper you decide on. Also has more than enough mass to turn over 10' polyleaders. If you are fishing streamers for bass an trout, I bet you can get away with 5' or 8' leaders. It really depends on how deep in the water column you want your fly to be.

In theory, the more grain weight in you line the heavier the sink tip/fly you can turn over. Sink tips can run from 17gr - 88gr. Of course there is tons a variables to consider. Basically, id say if you plan to fish smaller flies in shallower water go with SBT, but if you wanna toss weighted rabbit strips and heavier sink tips, the Ambush will be better for you.

... hope this isnt too confusing.

This link has a pretty comprehensive guide to lines and grain
weights.SPEY LINES
Super helpful...thank you! Spey line guide is a great resource!

The op

Reaction score
Skagit is what you want for big streamers and limited backcast space,,snap t,perrypoke.Opst is good,intergated is less hassle than mono running line.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Currently using 690-4 Douglas DXF single hand for trout/smallies with MPX line. Very interested in beginning spey casting with streamers and getting a dedicated line on my spare spool. Looking for recommendations for a typical 6wt grain weight for stripping streamers...OPST, Airflo, RIO? For a beginner should I be looking at an integrated line? What sort of tips should I be using? Thanks!!
As a matter of curiosity, are you intending on using truly large or heavy flies? A second point I'll ask about would be how deep you want the flies to be in the stream or river.

Bgregist

Reaction score
@ Ard, the heaviest fly the 6wt would see is probably size 4. I have a mix of streamers in the 4-8 category, both weighted and un-weighted. Currently, just have 3 Rio Versileaders with different sink rates attached to SA MPX floating line

Bgregist

Reaction score
Skagit is what you want for big streamers and limited backcast space,,snap t,perrypoke.Opst is good,intergated is less hassle than mono running line.
thank you! I've been seeing the OPST Commando smooth a lot. Any recommendations on grain weight for a medium fast action Douglas DXF 6wt?

The op

Reaction score
thank you! I've been seeing the OPST Commando smooth a lot. Any recommendations on grain weight for a medium fast action Douglas DXF 6wt?

Your welcome.

Although ive used the sustained anchor skagit methods on 2,3,4,5 weight singlehand,and a 3 weight switch,,with no hesitation on your 6 weight,id say get the 225 grain and attatch one of their 5ft micro skagit sink tips(get a 7.5ft aswell)with 3 to feet of your favorite fluorocarbon leader (trouthunter is good),non slip loop knotted to your streamer.

This setup will throw your size 4 and bigger,no problems.

Practice only standing in water.

If your having trouble 'blowing your anchor'(this will happen when going from deep wading to shallow),,slow down,,still happening? put on the 7.5ft tip.

Last edited:

The op

Reaction score
Once you wear this line out you should be proficient in casting and line management.

Then,if you are looking for absolute peak performance from your skagit,you will probably graduate to mono running line,,and depending on your experiences with the 225,and your preferences,you might even go to 200 or a 250.I myself went to the lighter side.

There are much more experienced spey casters on here,,but thats my 2 cents.

Have fun

Bgregist

Reaction score
Fantastic advice thanks again. One thing is for sure. Shooting heads and line look a lot cooler on a reel...not that helps you catch more fish! I will check out the OPST commando smooth in a 225--need to get a new spool for the Lamson Liquid. At least those are cheap!! Will probably grab a floating micro tip from them as well. Just in case.

flav

Reaction score
Definitely get a floating tip, and an intermediate isn't bad to have either (it's my fave). OPST smooth is a great line, and I think the recommended 225 should work great. I've used my smooth for trout and bass, and this weekend I'll be chucking it in the salt, it's very versatile.
One casting tip: try casting with one hand. In other words, don't hold the line in your free hand, pinch it against the cork with your casting hand and let it go when it's time to shoot line. It seems weird at first, but it's how you do it with a 2 hander and it helps things work better with a single hander too.

Bgregist

Reaction score
Definitely get a floating tip, and an intermediate isn't bad to have either (it's my fave). OPST smooth is a great line, and I think the recommended 225 should work great. I've used my smooth for trout and bass, and this weekend I'll be chucking it in the salt, it's very versatile.
One casting tip: try casting with one hand. In other words, don't hold the line in your free hand, pinch it against the cork with your casting hand and let it go when it's time to shoot line. It seems weird at first, but it's how you do it with a 2 hander and it helps things work better with a single hander too.
Glad to hear the line responds well in warm water applications. Was curious about that. My SA MPX is only rated to 78 degrees...and I'm sure its fishable past that but uncertain what it might do to the coating/slickness etc.

flav

Reaction score
The smooth certainly is fine in warm water and weather. The running line is a bit stiff and I like it better in warm temps, although I still have to stretch it before I use it to get the coils out anyway.

thirdcoaststeelheader

Reaction score
I run a 225 grain OPST head on my 690 with OPST lazer line. The integrated version was not an option when I set it up or may have went that way.

Along with the major line manufactures, Berkeley Big Game is a pretty good option for mono running line. I use that on some of my higher weight rods. I recall seeing an article years ago from Ed Ward mentioning that he would use that on his king salmon set-ups. It is cheap, strong, and casts well.

Reaction score
thirdcoaststeelheader is right on the money with his recommendations. I will add that if you're doing a lot of stripping, stay away from mono running line. If you're just swinging, mono works great. I also have found that the Commando heads are the best for turning over junk while the SA Spey Lite is a bit smoother casting, but doesn't quite have the guts the OPST does. I tend to lean towards the OPST because let's face it, if you're chucking serious meat, you're not looking for a nice and gentle presentation. The integrated sounds cool, but I like having a little more versatility that the non-integrated gives me for swapping out heads (I also use my own intermediate head I made from cutting back an Airflo intermediate skagit and then welding a loop onto it). The loop to loop connections are never an issue for me.

Cheers!