Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Single spey tactics for small creeks

I don't mean to walk past the water, my approach is to fish each holding section (call it a hole, pool, run, or riffle) from two positions and to never wade through it. Hit the tail and cast upstream with something that works on a free tumbling drift, the upstream cast will sink the fly rapidly and I can then throw an up stream mend that will turn and slow the fly, this is with ~25' of line, fishing just above and to my side; get out go around, enter head and fish the d&a- repeat til far enough from car and go back fishing each holding area again from the head.
    I don't mean to give instruction, because I don't do spey, and was just relating what I have to deal with. Streams I fish most are fairly high gradient (think hard to wade up), clear as gin and gravel bottoms (think a stack of marbles that move while you stand there), but much of what I do was learned on brooks back east.
    Even on a long constant-flow run (say 1/4 mile) I would enter, fish a semi circle around myself, exit, move up or down stream and repeat. I generally keep the casts rather short, three or rod lengths of line for speed of handling and because a bass gets under structure if it has a lot of line or time. I found this lets me cover the water from two or more angles and by the time I have gone up and come back the water will be rested enough that I can do it again.
    If I am right handed and I can stand river left holding the rod pointed away from the bank at an up angle and spill three or so S curves just to the left of myself then toss a C curve to right and lift a roll cast from that C (on the water) with a change of direction I can roll cast across while standing on dry land. Reverse the S and the C and cast backhand to the right to cast up or up across. maybe the crossing lines will collide if I don't get it all spaced right, but 40' with 7.5' 7wt is easy some days. I mix and match the strokes with lifts and under-hands and Belgian like ovals. Occasionally I will even overhead cast. I don't really think when I'm casting and trying to pick it apart sitting here doesn't work. Try casting sideways parallel to the bank with any cast then change directions for the delivery stroke. The trout park doesn't allow wading and til recently I didn't have a back cast at all, so I adapted what I knew.

2. Thanks ia_trouter thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

I can barely spell Spey let alone have a working knowledge of that style and it's terminology. Maybe this would be helpful. When I get jammed up with brush and other obstacles I like to use the bow and arrow cast for small stream fisheries. Sure, you will need to make a hole in some cases for your fly rod. I carry along a small set of gardening nippers for that purpose.

Denny

4. Thanks ia_trouter thanked for this post

Ia trouter,
    You're not wrong when you say you really need to be in the water to spey cast. You can do it from shore, but you need open water next to you, not just in front of you, or at least an area free of obstructions for your D loop.
    I fished those little overgrown midwest creeks when I was younger, they are challenging to cast on to say the least. Every piece of water requires a different approach, and quite often some creative casting techniques.

6. Thanks ia_trouter thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    Ia trouter,
    You're not wrong when you say you really need to be in the water to spey cast. You can do it from shore, but you need open water next to you, not just in front of you, or at least an area free of obstructions for your D loop.
    I fished those little overgrown midwest creeks when I was younger, they are challenging to cast on to say the least. Every piece of water requires a different approach, and quite often some creative casting techniques.
    That's it exactly. The Driftless is so diverse, which is part of the attraction IMO. One stream might be through a farmers pasture and every tree long ago removed. Only 500 yards away bordered on one bank by a beautiful vegetated limestone wall 100ft+ tall, and the other side forested. Look for the RV campground full of bait fisherman when you find this spot lol. IA DNR knows how to sell trout stamps and fund their program.

Anyway, yes, I really do need a different approach from stream to stream and spot to spot sometimes. Some of this does look speyable, but I am going to be casting directly up or down stream to make it possible on over half of the runs. I guess that was actually my question.

And Trev, hope I don't sound ungrateful for advice. I have been told to just walk by the bad spots and that is frustrating because it's not me reality for a day trip. I've done well enough for years with short SH rods, but the weather has changed the game for now. I've never seen grass and brush so tall right up to the streams edge.

No worries, not really meant as advice, and see I said I don't do spey. If one of you is ever in the Ozarks, maybe I can get lessons. Til then I'll use my out front roll cast.

9. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

I fish some small streams shs with a cgr 2 weight and epic glass 480.
    For upstream,usually with hoppers,i ll let it drift back toward me and either standard roll or perry poke it back out there.

The 4 weight line will be fine,but if you have any tips from 8 to 12 ft in the 80 to 120 grain range,,go full mini skagit,its fun.

Sa thirdcoast tips are good for this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12