Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

Default Re: Recommendations on a Multi-day Spey Casting Clinic

Quote Originally Posted by zonk1085 View Post
    City Rat, while this may not be an option for you currently I'm in agreement with flytie09's recommendation. Starting out I'd taken both an hour long and day long spey class. While both were helpful they never built enough muscle memory where I could pick up a two hander a few weeks later and build off what I'd previously learned. Perhaps a multi-day spey class would be sufficient although the prices of these schools are already close to being fully guided on the river.

It wasn't until a multi-day winter steelhead trip on the Oregon coastal rivers (Nehalem, Trask, Wilson, etc.) did it all come together. Floating down the river provided enough variety where the guide would introduce a different cast depending on the pool/run. Being in fishing situations kept me more interested and focused thereby speeding up the learning process. It also allowed me to develop early on an appreciation for the spey rod as a fishing tool and not just a casting instrument.

I'm sure there are many good guides but I found Chris, Nik & Alex at River Run Outfitters in Oregon to be exceptional. They are or at least were at the time spey only. In general I've found the west coast steelhead guides to be far superior spey instructors than the Atlantic salmon guides in eastern Canada. The Atlantic Salmon guides tend to be older and may have missed the spey boom although this is changing. More importantly in Quebec guides will not pick up your spey rod on the river to demonstrate what you are doing wrong as a ZEC patrolman can fine the guide for "poaching".
    zonk1085,
    I agree and I know how I learn best and for me,just as you described for you, a single hour or single day of casting hasn't been enough to make it stick, in terms of getting the movement and technique into muscle memory for later use. That is how it is that I came to the multi-day casting clinic idea. I 100% get that spending days practicing a casting stroke, a thousand times is boring for most folks on the planet but for a lot of guys who have a background in sports and have to pick up a new technique, its just exactly how they learn or at least how I learn best. You don't want to know how many times I practiced an executed a specific type of kick or punch in martial arts over a 10 year period, or running the hurdles, practicing starts or relay hand-offs back when I ran track so that the technique and movement was natural, fluid and right pretty much every time. this is why the Orvis course appeals to me as it involves a lot of practice over the course of the clinic plus videotaping and corrections. Yeah I'm up for fishing but honestly I want to get the technique right first. The fishing opportunities will be there both on the Atlantic and PNW for me. I have good connections now at the fly shops around the Salmon River, NY and out in Portland and Vancouver, and family in both locations so any family visit will have a salmon or steelhead component. Plus,did I mention the Orvis clinic has you fishing for steel head at least 2-3 hours a day when you are practicing, so that itch gets scratched some as well. Thanks.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

I apologize if this has already been suggested.

You might want to consider simply hiring a guide who is fluent in spey casting.

They can work with you on your casting and you can be fishing at the same time.
    -Rick Allen

Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I actually hired a guide who was an excellent spey caster and teacher on a trip to fish in Washington State back in July. He taught me to spey cast and watched and coached me for over 6 hours. I have since had a couple of lessons when I can work them in from an FFI certified spey casting instructor who was also good. What I need is a more sustained teaching/coaching/fishing setup, something where the focus is on teaching spey casting, coaching and correcting errors and fishing, again over time so I develop the muscle memory to the point where it sticks. After that, its practice between fishing.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12